• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would you pull a M101A3 with a 04 Nissan Xterra?

RjSteed

I cannot find much info on pull weights tonnage etc...

Its a 3.3L V6 and supposed to be able to pull up to 5000 lbs

What thinks you all?

Buddy of mine is about to possibly sell his trailer to another buddy of mine... Want to make sure he can haul it for him.

3dAngus

OH, Heck yes!

Check the surge brakes and make sure they work, $200 value, and you might want to consider dropping the size of the tires, but as far as the weight goes, no problem at all.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M101 trailers rock, but dont tell anyone this, they are getting harder to find.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How about a Jeep liberty?
I've towed a lot with my wifes (well I guess it's mine now). I think I've only towed my 101 with it though. (But I've pulled WAAAAY over what it's rated at before with a car hauler trailer and 11 11.00R20 G177's on 5 ton wheels) Course our libby is also a CRD.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get shorter wheels/tires (E Rated) and it will match up nicely with your rig. A shorter 16.5" tire is harder to come by than the 16"

Mark

I've towed a lot with my wifes (well I guess it's mine now). I think I've only towed my 101 with it though. (But I've pulled WAAAAY over what it's rated at before with a car hauler trailer and 11 11.00R20 G177's on 5 ton wheels) Course our libby is also a CRD.
Hey a Toyota pulled the space shuttle. It's transmission lasted 300 miles though.

Iron Bender

We use them everyday at work without any problem and tow up to 10k. The issue people have had here is backing up with them and using a pintle hitch that is too small for the lunette ring that binds and bends the plate.
Yeah, we already had this discussion on another site. You never did show them being used in the most extreme ways you say are safe. You have a good point about needing to use a correctly sized pintle. But running with considerably mismatched geometry, all sorts of extra forces are still being placed on both the riser plate and the receiver itself. If the plates still bend that easily just because of a little binding, I am not going to trust their performance in an accident, aggressive braking or maneuvering, or more extreme off-road situations. While I hope for the best circumstances, I plan for the worst contingencies. And that means a substantial margin of safety. I would not want to be in an accident and have a loaded M101A2 shear a tall riser plate off and come through the back of my lower, smallish SUV. Others mileage may vary.

Yeah, we already had this discussion on another site. You never did show them being used in the most extreme ways you say are safe. You have a good point about needing to use a correctly sized pintle. But running with considerably mismatched geometry, all sorts of extra forces are still being placed on both the riser plate and the receiver itself. If the plates still bend that easily just because of a little binding, I am not going to trust their performance in an accident, aggressive braking or maneuvering, or more extreme off-road situations. While I hope for the best circumstances, I plan for the worst contingencies. And that means a substantial margin of safety. I would not want to be in an accident and have a loaded M101A2 shear a tall riser plate off and come through the back of my lower, smallish SUV. Others mileage may vary.

Since they are engineered for all the above except for aggressive off roading (that's why the .mil pintles rotate) which I wouldn't use a 12" riser for, I wouldn't worry about it. And since we have had all of the above happen, aggressive braking, accidents, maneuvering, ect, experience tells me not worry about a 3k load doing something a 9k load hasn't. I believe I posted a photo on a hitch that pulled 8 or 9k that day so I have no idea what you are talking about.

If you are running with mismatched geometry, that's operator error and the fault of the operator not the product. Basically, if you are doing that you aren't competent enough to tow a trailer and shouldn't be. It's hard to engineer out stupidity. I think every bent plate post I have seen here was due to backing and not the conditions you list.

For some reason reese, etrailer, curt, ect have put significantly more engineering and thought into the product than you since they are at risk if their engineering is wrong as you claim it is. You should be able to easily post evidence that these hitches aren't safe in the conditions you post about, Boomer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks