• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would you toss these 395 ' s and get new ones?

I just picked up this truck a few weeks ago. It came singled out with the Michelin 395 XML's mounted to the stock deuce rims. My original plan was to order mrap wheels and adapter plates, then mount these tires on them. After reading about how people have experienced blowouts with these tires due to dry rot, I'm thinking I may have to replace the ones I currently have with some newer tires so I'm not a hazard to others.

There is weather checking on the areas of the tires that have been exposed to the sun, but no signs of it underneath the truck (the inner walls of the tires where it is shaded.) Looking at the pictures below, would you replace the tires? They vary in age with date stamps from 2003 to 2005. The rubber still feels pliable and not brittle when prodding with a screwdriver, which could mean nothing.

If I'm going to buy 6 new tires, I want them to last a while. I'm going to keep it in a barn, so that should help, right? What's the oldest 'new' tires you would consider, and what's the newest ones you have seen out there?

I've only found 3 different makers for this size. Michelin, Goodyear, and Continental. Continental may not be a feasible option since they don't appear to be available as surplus. That leaves the other 2. Are the Goodyear MVT's any better durability wise than the Michelin offerings, and I don't mean miles to wear out, but time.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm not a tire guy and appreciate any help. I don't want to spend money if it's not needed, and also don't want to buy junk tires that may only last a couple more years.

Attachments

sandcobra164

I know in the National Guard, your truck would be considered dead lined until we could put some newer rubber on it. You might get lucky with them on the rear but I would not suggest running those on your steer axle.

barefootin

Since the past history of them is unknown (general airing habits or did they spend a lot of time flat with weight on them). They are getting to the point of too much cracking for my personal taste.... I've replaced better looking tires on my Civvy vehicles. Remember, you are potentially driving a 14K pound weapon. Just my $.02

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MVTs are much less likely to get cracked like that. If you're going to do a lot of high speed driving, I would replace what you got. Farm/trail/local use they are fine.

Thanks, general consensus and common sense says they need replaced, especially if wanting to drive on highways.

So the problem now is trying to decide if the MVT's or the Michelins will fill my needs better. To be honest, I doubt I'll see much deep mud. That could change, I just don't know of any good spots to go around here. Most of the time it will be regular driving on concrete and gravel, an occasional muddy field, and snow packed roads in the winter. If one brand is known to perform better on the snowy roads and/or age better, that is the one I'd like to find.

welldigger

It's hard for me to say just looking at the pictures but minor sidewall cracking isn't the end of the world. If the cracking goes all the way around the tire then I would run them as rears. If the cracking is only on one area forming a crecent shape then replace that tire immediately. This would indicate a tire that has sat flat for an extended period of time. This is very bad for radials.

Obviously no sidewall cracking is most ideal. Replacing all of the cracked tires with newer non cracked tires is the safest option. Though I'd be willing to bet most of the surplus radials being run on these trucks have some very minor cracking.

It's hard for me to say just looking at the pictures but minor sidewall cracking isn't the end of the world. If the cracking goes all the way around the tire then I would run them as rears. If the cracking is only on one area forming a crecent shape then replace that tire immediately. This would indicate a tire that has sat flat for an extended period of time. This is very bad for radials.

Obviously no sidewall cracking is most ideal. Replacing all of the cracked tires with newer non cracked tires is the safest option. Though I'd be willing to bet most of the surplus radials being run on these trucks have some very minor cracking.
The cracking does go all around the tire and between some of the lugs. No crescent shaped cracking, so that's a plus.

As I'm starting to look at tires available for sale, am I correct in saying these do not need run flats or bead locks? Some tires come with them, but the majority don't unless they come already installed on a rim.

welldigger

No, runflats and beadlocks aren't necessary. Beadlocks are nice to have if you off road hard. If you choose to get some be sure to get the correct width for your wheel. For example most industrial 2 piece wheels (5 ton, most mrap, etc.) Are 10 inches wide. So you need a a beadlock for a 10 inch wheel. M35a3 wheels and some mrap wheels are 11 inches wide. So you need the wider beadlock.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the goodyears because they have a higher speed rating. Check the tire specs on the sidewall as I understand the xzl's can have different load/speed ratings.

peashooter

From what I have seen, it appears most of the "new, never been used" 395's that are currently for sale have been made in 2008-2010 for the mrap program. You can find members selling them (new, never been used rim/tire/runflat) in the classifieds for $300/ea. Or if you are up for a drive, there is a big tire / military surplus/scrap place in marshfield wi that you may get a deal at... Feltz Tire

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys should see the one rear 9.00-20 tire on my Deuce. That thing has some cracks! It has its duals, tubes and about 35-40 pounds of air. I'm not worried because It is on the back and I know I will wear it out before it ever blows. I have had decent amount of experience with these 9.00-20's, so I still sleep fine at night.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For brand of tire, I personally would stay with Michelins. I have had lots of both brands and am not real fond of the GoodYears. I have the Goodyear MVT's on one of my deuces and the ride is very poor and rough, I have also had numerous other Goodyears on other trucks and have had the same experience. I personally really like the Michelins, I have had three sets on my deuces and they are great! Also when you air them down, the sidewall doesn't bulge like they do on the Goodyears MVT's, but I also run my rears at 7 psi and fronts at 15 psi.

Robc

Also when you air them down, the sidewall doesn't bulge like they do on the Goodyears MVT's, but I also run my rears at 7 psi and fronts at 15 psi.[/QUOTE]

Do you run on the hwy with that psi or stay off road?

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you run on the hwy with that psi or stay off road?[/QUOTE]
I only run those pressures off road. There is a lot of sand where we live and the truck doesn't do much when aired up. It is way too hard to turn on the pavement at those pressures.

74M35A2

You guys should see the one rear 9.00-20 tire on my Deuce. That thing has some cracks! It has its duals, tubes and about 35-40 pounds of air. I'm not worried because It is on the back and I know I will wear it out before it ever blows. I have had decent amount of experience with these 9.00-20's, so I still sleep fine at night.
:cookoo:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The crack in the first picture is what you see before the tread comes off. If it's a tubeless tire, it may or may not go flat.

I had a tread peal off and happened to see it flying in the mirror. I didn't realize what it was, but knew I didn't run over anything so I stopped to check things. That's when I found out it was a tread. The tire didn't go flat and fortunately the tread didn't hit anything.

Look for new tires. You don't know how long these will last and you darn sure don't want someone to get hit with a hundred pound tire tread.

Thanks for all of your help! I went back and forth on which tire brand to get, and found a pretty fair deal on the MVT's. I decided to get 2 'new' ones and 5 rated at 90% plus.

My new rims showed up today, and I'll post a few pics when I get the newer rubber installed on the truck. This is what she looks like currently, just to liven up the thread a bit...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks