• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wow didnt relize how well the M1009 handles

maritimer

well the other night after fixing the rear window crank and realigning the hood of my truck at my g/f's fathers place. well we met up with her brother in his ford explorer 4x4, and being the rednecks we are we just had to take advantage of the late night middle of nowhere back roads and had a little race well given the age of my 1009 and the lack of both a turbo and non rebuilt injectors/IP. i have to say i am quite surprised in both the handling of the truck on the back roads *no pavement for close to 15miles and lots of sharp turns* and the power/ability to move in comparison to the 2002 explorer with the v8 gasser. it maintained 80-85mph he whole time with the exception of slowing down to let the explorer catch up. as for cornering even in 2wd wholy heck does it corner nicely, not even a slide or shimmy on the gravel/dirt. there was only one corner where i had to back her down to 60mph due to safety reasons *couldnt see what was on the other side of the corner*.
anyway after i got to his place we shut the trucks down and went in for a coffee and when i fired her back up she actully sounded alot better easier to start smother idle and less chugging/puffing when accelerating. anyone else ever notice this sorta improvement after a good runout ?

* the excessive speeding was done on a private road not owned or maintained by the government or municipality and therefore no laws where broken during the activites, gotta love familys with lots of land LOL*

Crash_AF

When I was in Germany, I used to run our 1009 from Mannheim to Ramstein at 80 MPH all the time so I know they'll do it.

As to running better, it was probably the highest amount of load that diesel's seen in a long time, so yea, it probably cleaned a little carbon out of it. I would recommend a trailer load over 80MPH rally runs, but then, I'm not as young as I used to be... LOL

Later,
Joe

maritimer

well this summer its being put into the mud runs and i might try her out in the truck pulls, but this falls shes getting garaged for a plow install, turbo, lower gears,lift and 35's. so hopfully next summmer she will be running a bit nicer.
but damn she sounds good with the duel cherry bombs at full crack LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks