• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wow I can break the speed limit now!

Matt1031

Swapped the 4.56 gears in the rear for 3.73's today just to see if that's the best ratio for how I use the truck. Definite improvement so I'm going to match the front once I find a decent used set of D60 3.73's at the yard.

Total cost so far is about $130. $99 for a complete used rear (gears and spare parts) + about $30 for gear oil, brake parts cleaner, and various small parts & supplies.

Only bummer is that I now realize how out of balance my old tires are! Poor truck has never gone 70 mph before, she was a little shaky.

ODdave

OP, judging by your handle (1031), you should have a posi (trac-loc) up front, keep that in mind when you are looking for the carrier. You will probly find one with either 16 or 30 splines. You can swap the spider gears from your original (35 spline) but it can be a paine, give yourself plenty of time.

Matt1031

I dont think its to good to drive with mismatched gears, ( unless you also have mismatched tires )
I would be carefull
No worries -I'm fully aware. As long as I don't put it in 4wd with the hubs locked it'll be fine. The front 60 takes more time to set up gears in and requires a few special tools and parts that I don't have yet. I'll be 2wd only for the next few weeks until I have all the parts on hand. I don't see it snowing this month, so I think I'll be OK with 2wd only for the time being.

Cucvnut-
Front end is going to be a lot trickier (Danas use shims for pinion depth and backlash). It's also more involved because I'm also getting rid of the trac-lok and changing to a a different limited slip (in series 3 carrier size) even with used gears and a used 3 series carrier/lsd, and with me doing all the work at $0 labor it probably going to run me around $300 in parts and take me an entire weekend to get done. Not really looking forward to it, but it'll get done soon.

ODdave

No worries -I'm fully aware. As long as I don't put it in 4wd with the hubs locked it'll be fine. The front 60 takes more time to set up gears in and requires a few special tools and parts that I don't have yet. I'll be 2wd only for the next few weeks until I have all the parts on hand. I don't see it snowing this month, so I think I'll be OK with 2wd only for the time being.

Cucvnut-
Front end is going to be a lot trickier (Danas use shims for pinion depth and backlash). It's also more involved because I'm also getting rid of the trac-lok and changing to a a different limited slip (in series 3 carrier size) even with used gears and a used 3 series carrier/lsd, and with me doing all the work at $0 labor it probably going to run me around $300 in parts and take me an entire weekend to get done. Not really looking forward to it, but it'll get done soon.
What limited slip are you planing on running? Dont put a powr-loc up there if you gonna be on the street.

P.S., pinion depth on danas are aas easy as it gets if you are using dana gears. If you know how to read the pinions it tells you what to do;)

Last edited:

Matt1031

What limited slip are you planing on running? Dont put a powr-loc up there if you gonna be on the street.

P.S., pinion depth on danas are aas easy as it gets if you are using dana gears. If you know how to read the pinions it tells you what to do;)
Powr-lok is the plan. Tightest LSD out there shy of a full locker and I love 'em. I don't use 4x on pavement so it shouldn't be a problem. Trac-loks (Crack-loks) are weak sauce, so I figure I'll upgrade while I'm in there.

ODdave

Powr-lok is the plan. Tightest LSD out there shy of a full locker and I love 'em. I don't use 4x on pavement so it shouldn't be a problem. Trac-loks (Crack-loks) are weak sauce, so I figure I'll upgrade while I'm in there.

Yea there sweet, just dont turn worth a ****. Let us know how it turs out.

spicergear

Powr Lok is a good unit. I had one in a front D60 with 37" Boggers and did all kinds of stuff with that and never once had it let one tire spin without the other when it needed to.

ODdave

More pics for referance, Trac-loc on the left and pwr-loc on the right
Yes, they do make great book ends.
BTW, Dana 80's after 1997 had 4 pinion trac-loc posi's. Dont confuse them with the pwr-loc. You can tell them apart by the cross pin, all pwr-loc's have 2 flats forming a V on the cross pin

Attachments