• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker (Bomb) Crane on a M105A2?

AceHigh

I read all of the bomb crane and wrecker crane threads and did not see this, so I am requesting your input.

I acquired the wrecker unit for the deuce and am thinking of putting it on my 105. It fits fine and will stick out the same 4 feet it would on the longer deuce bed. The chainfall weighs 200 and I figure I can get the correct tongue weight by adding some deuce spare tires as needed to balance it.

My purpose would be just general lifting, tires, wheels, maybe an occasional car engine or two. In use it would always be behind a deuce.

I like the idea of the hoist being available but am not sure if I want it on my truck 24/7. Is this realistic?

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had RDM's trailer for almost a year before he picked it up. Positioning it to pick up a load is a pain in the butt. His was welded which I also thought was a bad idea. Personally, if you rarely use it, i'd just remove the hoist from the bed when done.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see no reason this couldn't work as long as you use common sense. With the chainfall all the way forward on the rail, you should be close on tongue weight. Backing a 105 can be a pain but it can be done, just might need to pop out a few times. Better yet, put a pintle on the front of the truck.

Danger Ranger

subscribed. Sounds like a cool idea to me. How will you attach it? I second the no-welding strategy. Maybe some bolts with easy access for removal? I don't know....

AceHigh

Thanks all for the excellent advice, esp the pintle on the front. I got everything except bolts of course. I saw the pic of the long square U bolts, not sure about that yet. It will not be welded into place. I plan to paint the trailer and hoist so I still have some time to figure it all out.

Atomic

Hmmmm....AceHigh if this was my project, I would remove the drop leg in the rear and replace it with another landing leg from the front of a 105. Those rear landing legs seem smallish and more to the point a front landing leg would allow you to distribute the weight a little better. Those front landing legs seem to be built to take all the trailer weight. Also you could manuver it a bit better with out the deuce.

Just my 2cents and good luck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If anyone is interested there is one near me mounted on a dual wheel genny trailer.....the old boy that owns it has several MV's (mostly M151 varients) but he is not one of "us".

He offered it to me for 800 bucks for the whole nine yards.

PM if interested and I'll try to get a hold of him.

AceHigh

OK, started on the project- Day 1, got the front and back assembled and placed on the trailer. Not an easy task for an old dude with few tools. I used 22 5/8" X 2" bolts just to attach the front of the I beam to its base and the arch to the I beam. It is just sitting in the trailer right now and the next task is to measure, fasten it down, put the 200 pound chainfall on the beam. and finally the back support.

Attachments

AceHigh

Just little 64 year old me. :jumpin:. It is behind the pawn shop so I "borrowed" a RR jack. Every time I got it up a bit I put a spare tire, wood, or whatever under it and went up some more.

I highly recommend a backhoe for this. :driver:

harleyhouse

Many uses: propane tank delivery, cemetery work.

You could work rescue and recovery for all of the OBESE Americans who fall off their mobility scooters!

You could make a killing!

acmunro

That looks like my trailer. I put mine together a couple of years ago. I used it alot. I always just used it behind a CUCV truck. I moved alot of 6.2's with transmissions bolted to them, axles, and misc. other heavy stuff. If it wasn't high enough I would just back the trailer up on some railroad ties. Very handy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks