• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Broken CV Joint

wcuhillbilly

Wrecker Broken CV Joint, The Golden Driveshaft Crane Drive

Lost my lower CV joint on the Power divider last nite with the boom at full extention and at a 45* to the truck... was setting my pickup bed back on the rails....

Ok, we know the CV is a POS and a real PITA and its made of Unobtainium.
Does anyone know of a commercial truck application that could be retro fitted inplace, Hydraulic or shaft driven?
I am puttin in an Eaton Trans next year so the T case is being moved back, Now sounds like a good time to remove the extra tunnul off the Pwr divider and either go hydraulic or re config the shaft with a coulple support carriers.
Could the 936 system be retro fitted in with some machine work... or does anyone know the specs on the 936 drive system, torque, fluid cap, rpm etc. I have a competent machinist in my pocket, so fabrication and mill work is availible.

Read on to Page four for the final outcome, This shaft off the Tulsa/Garwood power divider will cost around $2,000 from the MV suppliers, IF you own an M816 with this crazy expensive or obsolete system you will at some time end up replacing this shaft.
Basically I dropped one extension housing off the power divider. Had a machinist neighbor mill an endcap, shaft with bearing/seal and oil drain back hole, for the extension housing and fit a keyed flange on the shaft/end cap. From here we took a high angle yoke for a 1330 series (1/2 ton GM or ford) U joint, which allows for up to a 30* angle and welded up the 12 spline existing CV crane shaft to be turned down and cut for 16 spline to fit in the yoke. this makes a slip yoke to ease installation and allows operation at the new angle of 26* up to the union by existing old style CV at the crane drive under the Turret.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Modified title, it sounded like you were broke down and needed emergency help.

Jakelc15

You could pull the yoke from your PTO and replace it with one with a newer series u-joint. It's a 10 spline standard size, any driveshaft shop should have. I don't know what the power divider has though.

wcuhillbilly

tmp_24155-IMG_20161028_221008341-2064103958.jpg

tmp_28018-IMG_20161029_243223665-1213208280.jpg

tmp_28018-IMG_20161028_220956522-1824614278.jpg

Top pic is overall, second is the model plate, Tulsa Transmission Mod: ORD7413950 Serial: G17916 Assembly: 61675

Parttarget brings up additional part numbers.
KC2769
M306098
112009R91
Im sure some oilfield truck has got one of these in some configuration.

I have removed the 2 extension housings and the oval box, I would like to drop these housings and install a U joint flange at the case then start the shaft up to the crossmember with a carrier bearing and another shaft up to the crane drive.

Last edited:

red

Couple pics of the underside of my m816 (should be the same). 1st pic is the underside of the crane, the PTO shaft in the middle.

IMG_20160712_203220206.jpg

This pic is the output side of the power divider, the crane PTO is the lower part. The PTO shaft connects to the yellowish box to the left

IMG_20160712_203658521.jpg

wcuhillbilly

Thanks Red, Im trying to upload pics from my phone, and type on the computer. not working... had a nice explanation typed out, but the system kept cycleing till it dropped my text and barely uploaded one pic.

Jakelc15

OK. Now I see what is broken. When you said everything stopped, I assumed it was the PTO to power divider shaft. I didn't know the hoist drive line was so intricate.

You need a hydraulic swivel like newer wreckers. You could mount the pump right off the power divider and run the 2 lines up through the swivel into the wrecker body.
Or run a second hydraulic system. PTO runs a pump, hydraulic motor drives wrecker pump. Also use it to power the winches. The front winch shaft isn't going to fit after the tranny swap anyway!

Just some ideas. I think you have it figured out already with removing the extensions and eliminating the obsolete parts.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

wcuhillbilly

Don't use ford parts if you want it to work!
yes, Im trying to avoid using inferior tactics.... My machinist neighbor looked at it last nite and thinks we can drop the bigger extension housing but due to the shaft coming out of the Pwr Div I will likely have to keep the smaller housing in order to fit a milled end cap/bearing retainer and yoke onto. the shaft coming out of the div is female woodruf key (Edit: The female part is a coupler that is held on with an allen screw, it will come off yielding a male shaft with woodruff half moon key.) inside the smaller housing, thus if he mills a cap for it with a bearing/oil seal and a shaft(could cut down the other shaft) then we can go with a OTR truck PTO U-joint and start the process up to the crane pot.
I really would like to convert to the Hyraulic setup off an 936 but out here in podunk Wyoming there just are not very many resources to pic from.... not to mention I would need the crane operational to pluck said unit off another truck...
I tried to dig up some info on the Tulsa/Garwood pwr divider but it too is made of unobtainium, and the truck shops want me to drop it and bring it in, sure I will get right on that..... I am betting that since the rear winch output is a U joint, then the lower one for the crane would have come as a U joint as well, but since the engineers at the US army got ahold of it, the conversion was made to the "new and improved CV joint"... I was trying to find the output shaft and bearing retainer to convert the lower shaft to a u joint with factory components. but no such luck....

Last edited:

Jakelc15

Ford had Spicer make a special size oddball joint just to keep things from being interchangeable. I think it's the 1330F. Changed the cap size slightly. They didn't use to make conversion joints and I had to buy 2 joints and switch the caps to fit Ford axles under Jeeps!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks