• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wrecker comes to life!!

zb39

My 543a2 fired up today!!!!!:-D I have been messing with it for a week and a half. If you don't know, it was under water in Iowa for a few days. It came with 1 gal of water in the pan and 22 gals in the fuel tank and lines. Got it all out, took the starter out and freed it up, put it back in and it almost killed me. that thing weighs a ton. 2 new batts, rolled it down hill to check the engine was free. Reinstalled 3 injecters and hooked up all the lines. shot some either and it poped. Drained all the fuel filiters and lines, finally had fuel and not h2o everywhere. 3 shots of either and it came to life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..Drove it around the yard a little. clutch needs adjusted, spent awhile on that and it's still not perfect. After tracing linkages and ptos for awhile i got the front winch going and i got the hoist going!!!!:-D:-D:-D:-D....All controls work great, it winch, hoist goes up and down as does the boom,...boom extends and retracts and the whole thing swivels left and right, very smoothly also,....i never found evidence of water in the hydrolic fluid..I AM PUMPED!!!! Thanks to those that answered my stupid questions in PMs, and those selling accs.. stupid question, does the boom extension have a stop, i don't want it comming out of the end. Thanks to all and this GREAT site. I also need a new rear drag winch if anybody has 1....

zb39

You KNOW it!!!!! I have been out there every day after work and weekends. Love every minute.:-D:razz: I have not taken any pics yet and i don't know if i could download them anyways..

zb39

A LOT of dried mud inside. I need to shop vac it out. kind of like a 1/2 inch all dried up and cracked!!. Tool boxes were all full to, all 5 of them, now if i only knew what it all was..:-D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A LOT of dried mud inside. I need to shop vac it out. kind of like a 1/2 inch all dried up and cracked!!. Tool boxes were all full to, all 5 of them, now if i only knew what it all was..:-D
Bring it to Haspin, or send it all to me and I'll tell you all about it.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats man! I was watching that one, but if I would have one it would have ended up parked at Rat's for years.

Glad to hear she has a good home.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Outstanding job...and glad she lives!!
The ole wreckers are a real hoot to play with, and they even can do some good work!
Glad ya got one that will live.

PorscheTech911

Sounds like the mud is your 15 min heavy rain leak proofing! It'll save you about that long till you find shelter haha. :p

and of course congrats!!! DIY for life!

zb39

Anybody have a lead on a rear winch? Now its time to fix the small things and get ready for paint. Is the front axle always engaged or only if the back slips? I see no lever or switch to engage the front axle...??:roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old wreckers are a trip. I repowered my gasser deuce wrecker with a multifuel. The engine was a freeby and had no compressor, no front oil filter can and no injection lines. I drained 4 or 5 gallons of water out of the crankcase before oil started showing up. I was amazed that the engine even thought about running much less got the last 2 years of use out of it. I can't even imagine life without a wrecker in the yard.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with John Tennis on the rear winch. I believe he is selling off some of RAM's old stuff and RAM had some NOS rear winches for a very reasonable amount.

zb39

Don't I know it. Nice clear water came out of the pan first, about a gal or so, then a milky crapy liquid, another gal, then I finally got real oil. Changed it all, this was before I even knew if the engine was free or not. First time i hooked up air to the system from my compressor I got bubbles and water comming out everywhere. Got it taken care of though. Oddly enough the brakes worked comming right off the trailer. That was the only thing i knew for sure that worked.

zb39

You know it. My son and daughter both love riding in it and running the hoist!!:-D Replaced the shear pin in the front winch last nite and then untangled the wire rope, its in pretty good shape. I have to work on the exhaust stack and straighten it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks