• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Crane Remote Control

LOR RC

Wireless Radio Controls for Cranes/Winches/Lifts

I've often thought that it would be nice to add a remote control capability to the crane controls on my M543A2 wrecker, or on the M936A1 that will replace it soon. I usually use it by myself, so it can be challenging to not be down there on the ground to maneuver the load. I've had to resort to a lot of climbing up and down, and sometimes even rotating the load by tying a rope to it and pulling the rope from up in the gondola.

Have any of you ever retrofitted either wired or radio remote control to a 5-ton wrecker or any other hydraulic machine with similar controls? I'd be curious about hearing how others have done that and how much it cost, either using a commercially-made kit or a home-brewed system.

I've seen equipment with such controls built in, and I've seen some stuff online from makers of remote control systems. The online stuff didn't mention cost, and it all looked like it's probably very expensive. I'm sure that I could create the electronic portion of a remote control system, but I don't know yet how to find suitable actuators to proportionally actuate the existing valves on the crane, and completely release the valves when unpowered for both manual control and a fail-safe/emergency-stop capability.
I know I'm a little late to the thread but since I found it I figured there might still be some interest in wireless radio controls for your military vehicle cranes/winches. I work for LOR Manufacturing out of Central Michigan and we offer custom engineering and manufacturing of wireless control systems for industrial equipment. We distribute a unit that would be perfect for your crane application and is very affordable for the average consumer. Visit us at www.lormfg.com and look at the Apollo or Cupid series remotes. For around $300 we can get you in to one of these radio control kits that should integrate right in to your existing system. Apollo Minis are a simply, pendant style system while the Apollo H (DC power) systems and Cupids are a more robust setup with extra safety features and customizations. IP65 environment protection, EMS stop switches, etc. We have spec sheets on our website or feel free to email me with any questions.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thanks for posting, LOR RC. How would those systems actuate the control valves on my wrecker? (I've sold the M543A2, but now I have an M936A1 that uses the same crane). Note that these trucks do not have any electrical control valves to connect a radio to; the valves are all mechanical.

LOR RC

Thanks for posting, LOR RC. How would those systems actuate the control valves on my wrecker? (I've sold the M543A2, but now I have an M936A1 that uses the same crane). Note that these trucks do not have any electrical control valves to connect a radio to; the valves are all mechanical.
My apologies, in my excitement to help out I spoke a bit out of turn. I was thinking that the winch and crane arm were running off an electrical system. It can still be done but it would be quite a project. We would probably have to build a custom transmission PTO and add electric coils so that it would accept the signal from the mechanical levers and an electrical wireless control kit. We have done similar projects for other hydraulic systems but the price point jumps up pretty high, a few thousand I'm guessing, especially with all of the outputs you would need for the front winch and the crane or dump on the back. I'll do a little research and if I can find an affordable option I'll post back.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I looked at this rc system, looks like it would work for the grove crane on the mk15a1 and the m985

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Yup, the controls on the M936A1 are all manually actuated hydraulic valves. If somebody makes affordable electric actuators for retrofitting onto lever-operated directional control valves, then adding the RC system on top of those would probably be pretty easy.

Jeepsinker

It wouldn't be a bad idea to visit some truck salvage yards and try and find a wrecked rollback to scavenge the valve body and actuators off of, then order a remote off of EBay if you can't find the pendant in the cab of the truck.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Given the thick mass of plumbing behind the valve body in the wrecker's gondola, I'd be a lot less comfortable about replacing the hydraulic valve body than I would with strapping some sort of external actuators onto the existing valve body. But maybe that's just me, and my approach wouldn't be the best way to do it.

But even if my approach makes sense for the crane controls, maybe replacing the hydraulic valves would make more sense for the front and/or rear winches of an M936A1? If I still had my M543A2 with its mechanical PTO-driven winches, I'd be interested in converting them to hydraulic winches to make them easier to control.

Rescue101

Look at Lodar. I put a lodar electric over air on my drag winch(M936A2) and it works as designed. I BELIEVE they make straight electric multi channel units as well

red

Look at Lodar. I put a lodar electric over air on my drag winch(M936A2) and it works as designed. I BELIEVE they make straight electric multi channel units as well
$1300 for the remote and receiver (quick search online for the 92210). Not including the actuators, setting up the power, etc. Doable with enough money. Tend to lose fine adjustments with electric controls which may or may not be a concern to others, the upper level electric controls allow for better fine adjustment capabilities.

Hard part is finding a good economic option for complete control.

tobyS

When I add Seimens S7 programmable control to hydraulic positioning, because of the high cost of proportional, I use 2 valves, one with high flow for rapid movement and one with low flow for fine control (most 24 vdc). In my case, the code is set up to have both valves on and at X- a certain amount, turning off the high flow but leaving the low flow valve on to bring it to the target number. It might take 2 RC channels, but the same thing applies.

I call it the poor mans proportional and have made code for 3 axis on the S7 (sawmill positioning).

Problem then is the open center hydraulics in the trucks...can't just add in a second valve like a closed center.

Rescue101

Yes Red,the Lodars are Expensive.Mine WITH actuator was right around $1000 as I recall( Actually I was wrong,the price of the kit was just over $600)
. I'm VERY happy with the remote I put on the drag on the 936. I'd LOVE to fully remote the crane but both money and required mods for the times I REALLY need it,negate the practicality at this time. The Remote on the drag is some handy though. Still learning all the neat stuff you can do but really glad I acquired this rig,fits in with my needs very nicely

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks