• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Filter Question

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M543A2 came from GL completely dry, no fluids! I now have the 70gallons of hydraulic oil for the crane, I want to replace the hydraulic filter at the base of the oil reservoir while it is empty, any one have a source for this filter??
Thanks,
James G.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Memphis Equipment or SECO should have it. John at TNJ Murray may have it as well. It helps to have the NSN at Memphis or SECO. Try Byron at SECO 1st, then Memphis.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used Memphis Equip but this is the first I have heard of SECO, do you have a web site or number for them?
Thanks,
James G

sprucemt

rumplecat said:
My M543A2 came from GL completely dry, no fluids! I now have the 70gallons of hydraulic oil for the crane, I want to replace the hydraulic filter at the base of the oil reservoir while it is empty, any one have a source for this filter??
Thanks,
James G.
Just curious about your use of the term "hydraulic fluid". Isn't the truck spec'd for 10 wt motor oil in the hydraulics?

Jake0147

RE: Re: Wrecker Filter Question

First and foremost, let me say that I have no idea as to what the actual recommended fluid in this application is, just experience with hydraulic systems both new and old. Ten weight sounds like a likely choice given the vintage and the type of system, but I'd bet that there's ten or more fluids that would provide exemplary service in said tank, and dozens and dozens more that could actually cause or simply fail to prevent damage in the short or long term. You're right to question the use of the term, because it can be taken more than one way. One can't assume that hydraulic systems need fluid from a bucket labeled "hydraulic oil or "hydraulic fluid". Hydraulic describes how the system works, not the type of fluid. Hydraulic (oversimplified) means that the system is operated by non-compressable fluid in a confined space. 10 wt oil would be a hydraulic fluid if used in this application. 10w-30 is more commonly used now in simple systems that would have called for 10 weight. Brake fluid is a highly specialized and typically non-petrolium based hydraulic fluid, then there's automatic transmission fluid, power steering fluid... The water plant in town switches most of their valves at the plant with pressurized water, which once (and while) it's in the control circuits for the rams that run these big valves, it as well properly becomes a hydraulic fluid. Where the questioning of the term comes in is that you'll find many products that really have no other (signifigant) application that are called "hydraulic fluid". So, the first thing you must know is if the speaker (or writer) had in mind that "hydraulic fluid" would mean the product added to the resivoir or the job of the product added to the resivoir.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Byron at SECO has always gone the extra mile to take care of me. Having said that, everyone has someone they don't work well with. I know I do. No big deal.

sprucemt

rumplecat said:
Thanks,
James G.
The reason I had posed the above question was that with all the equipment that I own and run,6 pieces with major hydraulics, I was taken quite aback that the government had chosen 10 wt motor oil for hydraulic fluid. Makes sense now, but I would never would have asked what went in a hydraulic tank on this type of equipment.So, in this case, I am hoping rumplecat has not assumed the system takes hydraulic oil and has specificly choosen to put in hyd 26 or hyd 32 or such.

Jake0147, that is a great post, thanx

acetomatoco

The lube order for this truck calls for "Hydraulic Tank Fill OE/HDO" 10 or 30 weight depending on season....just like the power steering on the M800 series...and others... Gear oil is used in all the gear boxes on the crane.. The Lube order LO 9-2320-211-12 is about 12 pages and profusely illustrated for your reading pleasure. Lotsa pictures in case Soldier #2 cain't read.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sprucemt said:
......So, in this case, I am hoping rumplecat has not assumed the system takes hydraulic oil and has specificly choosen to put in hyd 26 or hyd 32 or such.
Jake0147, that is a great post, thanx
Hydraulic oil does not have the same viscosity ratings as engine oil, "hyd 32" actually has an equivalent viscosity of 10 weight engine oil.

Here is a section of the LO in black and white.

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guys thanks for the info. I am using hydraulic oil with the same viscosity as 10 wt. motor oil. I have looked for two months for bulk 10 wt oil. All I found locally were 5 gal buckets of it which I did use in my power steering. I could find some as a special order but shipping was a killer. TIm I will let you know the cost and number of the filter.
James G.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Just an update on the hydraulic oil filter located at the base of the wrecker's oil reservoir, SECO has the part but it is $168, he has one in stock but has never sold one!
James G.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I will when I pull mine, I think for that amount of money and the fact that they have never sold one it must be washable and reusable, in any case for that price I will wait till it has to be changed!
James G.

redass73

at that price i hope i never need one..sounds like a good mod project for some of the guru's on here. should be a way to upgrade the filter assy some how to a spin on type. a little green paint and it shouldnt look out of place.
just a late night thought.
rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks