• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker front winch cable fiber core ?

catskillpond

Have to put new 5/8 cable on the front winch if I remember right the cable we use to install in the 70s had a fiber core or a rope in the middle and not galvanized what are we installing these days I believe it takes 250 foot where is good place to purchase cable any one in south eastern NY. Thanks Scott

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call around to crane service companies to see if they have any good used pieces. A lot of times they have perfectly good cable they have to throw away because of time in service or a kink or fray in one spot. I have 7 lifetime supplies of 1/2 cable that came from such a company.

hardimpact

If you know an elevator guy, we use various size cable with rope cores. They all the time are replacing cables. I used to trade old cable to a woodpulp guy for ruff cut hardwood.

Droppedadeuce

I need one for my wrecker too, I found cable for tow trucks on ebay. Supposedly american made, but the price is leaving me wondering, about $340 for 250 feet.... seems really cheap. Then I went on oshkosh's site and almost fell over, $6.00 per foot is insane.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Read this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?92873-Winch-cable

Covers what kind of rope (improved plow steel, fiber core, 6x19 {I think}), size and length.

Even has prices and where people have bought it.

I found it by doing a search for "fiber core" and it was one of the first hits.

catskillpond

Went to an old junk yard for winch cable the guy in the office said check with the kid out in the yard that was a waste of time on the way out saw an old timer in their shop that was the guy who knew where everything was followed him to an old trailer in the back he opened the door and there was the mother load of cable all on wood reels.
Picked up 300 foot of 1/2 and 300 foot of 5/8 $75.00 a reel installed today first two wraps had light rust after that like new.
Anyone in the lower NY state let us know if you need cable I believe he had up to 1 1/2 inch cable will give you contact info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks