• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Front Winch

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hate to steal your thread but is the level winder the same as a gipsy head?
OK Jeff - now you have me confused. Where did you get the term 'Gipsy head' from? You seem to be the first person to mention it... on this thread. And as DH pointed out re Wiki link - it's the driven horizontal drum (windlas) - toothed for heavy chain- a la negative of a sprocket, used on a British ship for raising/lowering an anchor!

Maybe some Marine using an M543 once, who was standing near some limey sailors overheard a conversation re the back of his truck..... Still don't get the connection. 8)

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just try paying out cable off of a rear M936 winch without bird nesting it and you'll forget all about your midship winch idea.
Quite agree - a midships winch works if it is a capstain type with a powered take up drum (Land Rover 101-pto driven, left in gear and only pays out when pulled) or if there is a dog clutch and the whole system free spools easily - no tight bends etc (not more than 3/8", maybe 1/2" cable for one guy).

The idea of running the front winch under the belly - front to back is do-able, but I think you would have to pull out to the front the amount of cable needed first, then pulled under. Could use a short vehicle length, 'mouse' line (or is it a 'rat'??? ... like leaving a wire in a boxed frame to pull the electrical harness after galvanising/blasting/painting etc), hooked in position and connected to the front winch cable only when pulling behind.

jesusgatos

Also fro some reason it seems they stopped using the level winder off the front of the newer m936a2s and I think the 936A1s too.
Yeah, why is that? My M936A2 doesn't have a level winder on it and noticed that most of the newer trucks don't either.
Quite agree - a midships winch works if it is a capstain type with a powered take up drum (Land Rover 101-pto driven, left in gear and only pays out when pulled) or if there is a dog clutch and the whole system free spools easily - no tight bends etc (not more than 3/8", maybe 1/2" cable for one guy).

The idea of running the front winch under the belly - front to back is do-able, but I think you would have to pull out to the front the amount of cable needed first, then pulled under. Could use a short vehicle length, 'mouse' line (or is it a 'rat'??? ... like leaving a wire in a boxed frame to pull the electrical harness after galvanising/blasting/painting etc), hooked in position and connected to the front winch cable only when pulling behind.
Why are you thinking you'd need to re-route the cable from front to back? It's not a straight shot, and it's not far off either, but enough that a few pulleys would need to be used. The way I'm picturing it, the loose cable end would be anchored up front. Either pull that end out to winch off the front, or pull the cable off the pulley at the back (cable would be doubled-back). Friction though, would be difficult to overcome. Maybe synthetic winch cable?

74M35A2

Small hijack - I'm looking to buy a level-wind and tensioner for a 5 ton front winch (20,000lb) if anybody wants to shake one loose or is done dealing with theirs.

mebedave

Hello new here, found you while researching how to convert pto to hydraulic winch. I have a few questions for you guys
I’m looking at a 7412382-1 medium duty winch like this one at a Gov auction (see video)
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6434619#ItemManifest
My question is; this winch is listed all over the internet as a 20,000
lbs unit, but I’ve found where they say it’s only a 10,000 lbs….which is it? See page 1-8 of this manual, it shows it as a 9,500 lbs http://www.jatonkam35s.com/M809series/TM9-3830-501.pdf now I’m even more confused ??? I need a 20,000 lbs winch.
I may have more questions once I clear up the winch capacity

Thanks!!

T