• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Oil Can Bracket

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My old M543A2 has a mounting bracket for an old-fashioned oil can up in the gondola, and my new M936A1 has the rusted remains of one underneath the newer coats of paint. Neither one included the oil can itself. I found a somewhat beat up oil can at a military surplus yard many years ago, but it's just a bit too small in diameter to fit in the bracket on my M543A2 so I suspect it came from something else.

Are those oil cans and brackets still used on wreckers that haven't left service yet, or have they been abandoned and replaced by something like a newer trigger-style oiler stored in a tool compartment?

I'm just wondering whether that oil can and bracket is something I want to chase down replacing on my M936A1. A site search here didn't turn anything up... particularly because the search engine deemed "can" to be a too-common word. A google site search didn't help, either. Most of the internet-wide google results referred to oil can brackets in Model T Fords, WW2 jeeps, etc.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
The brackets on the back of the gondola are for fire extinguishers. There's another bracket inside the gondola for an oil can.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Here's the mount on my M543A2. My M936A1 just has some rusty residue from the bracket. I could have stolen the bracket off the M543A2 for it, but since I didn't get around to doing that before making a deal to sell the M543A2, I guess its new owner gets to keep the bracket!

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Snapped these pics for you yesterday while using the M816 to pull the powerpack and replace the clutch in my Dad's 151. The oil can pictured came with the truck when it was excessed. I found it in one of the tool boxes, still has oil in it!
Thanks! I was also interested to see the field chock mounts on the boom. I'm considering moving my chocks up to the boom to get them off the deck, too. Are the bottoms bolted to those front mounts, are are the visible bolts just pins that holes in the spades fit over? How are the tops of the chocks mounted at the rear of the boom?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ground Spades

Thanks! I was also interested to see the field chock mounts on the boom. I'm considering moving my chocks up to the boom to get them off the deck, too. Are the bottoms bolted to those front mounts, are are the visible bolts just pins that holes in the spades fit over? How are the tops of the chocks mounted at the rear of the boom?
C'mon now, surely THIS is worthy of a new thread!

I have seen 'pins' for the 'heel' end of the spades either orientation, with feet to the cab and the other way around to the back of the truck. But the feet end securement seems a mystery. Have seen strapped spades, bolted spades and staple type loops for the feet. My 816 has the heel pins forward but no feet brackets. The ones in the pic seem 'non-factory' or recent additions.

Would imagine they'd clatter a lot if not strapped tight.

Where did the 818 (tractor) carry them? (819 probably on the boom too)

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Snapped these pics for you yesterday while using the M816 to pull the powerpack and replace the clutch in my Dad's 151. The oil can pictured came with the truck when it was excessed. I found it in one of the tool boxes, still has oil in it!
It looks like the manufacturer of your oil can is still around:

I haven't found a supplier of the bracket yet, though. I'd like to find one for my M936A1, whose original bracket has rusted away.

Edited to add: I've emailed them to ask if they know a source for the mounting bracket.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
C'mon now, surely THIS is worthy of a new thread!

I have seen 'pins' for the 'heel' end of the spades either orientation, with feet to the cab and the other way around to the back of the truck. But the feet end securement seems a mystery. Have seen strapped spades, bolted spades and staple type loops for the feet. My 816 has the heel pins forward but no feet brackets. The ones in the pic seem 'non-factory' or recent additions.

Would imagine they'd clatter a lot if not strapped tight.

Where did the 818 (tractor) carry them? (819 probably on the boom too)
The BII for the m818, m819 do not call for spades, with that being said, I am mounting my spades on each side on the top rail of the bed with a U-bracket, post and strap, this way one person if need be can get them down and back up, If you have ever tried to get spades down to use then and then back up on the boom you WILL know what a pain in the a$$ it is, LOOKS nice on top of the boom, but looks do not always make a happy crew. remember function before looks.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Hey Nf6x did you ever get a reply?

Yes, I did. I had to dig it out on my old laptop:

Oil Can Manufacturer said:
We would have made that oil can but not the bracket that holds it in place.
We do still make that can and have done so for many many years.

I can’t help you as far as the source of that bracket, since it is a military item; you might try to ask someone there if they have any ideas for you.

Thank you so much for the photo of the can on the military wrecker. It’s nice to see how the products are incorporated into different uses.
My MV hobby has been on the back burner for several months, and lately I've been obsessed with vintage computer stuff. One of these days I need to resume work on my big green beasts! I have more hobbies than time, and I'm a lot better at starting projects than finishing them… :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks