• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker parts info

A frame parts

Hey guys - I am putting together a M543 and am missing one of the long pins that goes to the base plate of the A-frame bars.

Also looking for the cross bar that goes between the two A-frame legs to keep them from kicking out...

I might have an extra set of spade bars to trade or sell if anyone is interested...

Matt

M543 Stuff...

All I have is the follow scans - the last one is a good summary of the pins...

HTH

Matt

Attachments

I need the ring gear under the crane got couple teeth chipped off . On a m62 any ideaers
I am pretty sure I have access to one but shipping will be harsh - let me check with him tomorrow on what he'd want for it...

How soon would you need it?

EDIT : Talked with Brad today and he said give him a call in the evening at 360-400-1694 (pacific time) and he has a complete base plate for a M62 from a truck which was scrapped and cut up - when I get back in town next week I can get some pictures of it if you guys work something out - just let me know

Matt

Last edited:

chevy43

My first guess is ground anchors maybe? You pound sharpend steel rods through the holes into the ground? I've seen pictures of doing that but those don't look quite right with the holes almost oposit each other and close toghether.

SD T16

I have been searching for a pic to confirm my memory, but can't seem to find it any where! So that said, in case I am wrong.........

They are part of an anchor system. There should be a bunch of bars/steaks to go with them. If you found yourself stuck in a field w/ no place to attach a winch too. You lay those down, drive the steaks through the holes along the length into the ground and attach you cable to the clevis. [thumbzup]

I am still looking for the picture I seem to remember.

Sean

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ground anchors

I have been searching for a pic to confirm my memory, but can't seem to find it any where! So that said, in case I am wrong.........

They are part of an anchor system. There should be a bunch of bars/steaks to go with them. If you found yourself stuck in a field w/ no place to attach a winch too. You lay those down, drive the steaks through the holes along the length into the ground and attach you cable to the clevis. [thumbzup]

I am still looking for the picture I seem to remember.
Sean - I had the same thought, they are very similar in function to the British set up for ground anchors (though actual construction is different - pressed plate with holes and folded shackle ends vs cast), however I'd like to know what Ron was refering to. Perhaps they were "aquired" by the H8's using the wrecker, when loitering around the 'pool after they "lost" their BII anchor set!

The actual issued anchors as in the FM - as pic below, date back to WWII, though the M1A1 had round pins not hex, so I am not sure if the 'next generation' was as originally pictured - cast strip with holes (so not shelter brackets as Ron states - however I am loathed to doubt Ron).

ground anchors.jpgholdfast.jpg

Second pic is from Rigging Manual and operates the same as the cast strips, just double wide.

I too am missing suitable ground anchors and nothing is detailed in the 816 BII.

There is another thread detailing a hugh 'boat' anchor, though where the heck this would be stowed is another question.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
pic from post #2...
cast anchors.jpg

looks like there are four sets there - which would be about the top end of requirement for the weight of the truck. Can't see the pins too well, there would be a load.

Could fabricate these, but getting the "cast steel" look would be tricky.

Last edited:

KW573

Ground Anchors

Hi all,
The items in question are, indeed, ground anchors. I have several, and they are moderately common here in Australia.
Although I am not absolutely sure, I believe that they are a British Commonwealth design. They are laid on the ground and 8 pegs, about 4' long, driven into the ground through the holes. The shackles at the ends are at 90deg to each other, seemingly to allow some flexibility in use. They can be easily used in tandem or more.
The pegs they came with were very distinct, being octagonal in cross-section and having a heavy eye about 4" from the top end. This eye served to hold the ground anchor down which is very important in serious use, and to twist the peg to aid extraction. This is why they are octagonal. The twisting action opens up the hole in the ground, making extraction much easier. Any of the pegs will fit in the eye of any other peg.
There were also cylindrical pegs.

While I'm here, I am collecting the accessories for my Diamond T 969 restoration, and my M1A1 Kenworth heavy wrecker paddock truck. Particularly, the 'A' frame-type ground anchors for both vehicles and M1A1 rear corner legs. And other bits and pieces you may have spare.
Have a nice day.
Sam.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hi all,
The items in question are, indeed, ground anchors. I have several, and they are moderately common here in Australia.
Although I am not absolutely sure, I believe that they are a British Commonwealth design. They are laid on the ground and 8 pegs, about 4' long, driven into the ground through the holes. The shackles at the ends are at 90deg to each other, seemingly to allow some flexibility in use. They can be easily used in tandem or more.
The pegs they came with were very distinct, being octagonal in cross-section and having a heavy eye about 4" from the top end. This eye served to hold the ground anchor down which is very important in serious use, and to twist the peg to aid extraction. This is why they are octagonal. The twisting action opens up the hole in the ground, making extraction much easier. Any of the pegs will fit in the eye of any other peg.
There were also cylindrical pegs.

While I'm here, I am collecting the accessories for my Diamond T 969 restoration, and my M1A1 Kenworth heavy wrecker paddock truck. Particularly, the 'A' frame-type ground anchors for both vehicles and M1A1 rear corner legs. And other bits and pieces you may have spare.
Have a nice day.
Sam.
PICs are required :beer:

KW573

Pics of ground anchors and stuff.

OK, Still learning how to put pics up here.

Here a bit of what I have. Yes, the peg is bent. As these were not part of the USA truck kit I am working on, I have not restored it. There are good ones around.

Ground Anchor.jpg

More to come if I can manage it !

Sam.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks