• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker power divider propeller shaft CV joint failure.

54reo

While unloading/moving some new (to me) MV stuff, the upper power divider CV joint on the M816 decided to enter into the first stages of a catastrophic failure today. I was able to shut the truck down well before anything really bad happened (like a broken shaft), but this does not look to be a fun job. To make things worse, the truck has the dreaded one-piece shaft.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone here have a two piece shaft they are willing to part with? (I doubt it, but it is worth a shot.) I figured I might as well upgrade while I am in there.

2) Does anyone here have a source for a replacement CV joint and boots?

I do plan on calling the usual dealers tomorrow, but I thought I would check here first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I will take some pics tomorrow as I ran out of daylight today.

54reo

WHoops, dunno how that last one got there! You got some CRAZY wildlife in Chester.
And all I thought you would have to watch out for were the skunks!

Glad to see that you made it home fine. Thanks for all of your help!

Unfortunately the joints in the power divider shaft are more of a constant velocity joint and not like the ones you have there. I did call around and only one of the "large" dealers had a shaft (or anything related to this) in stock. Lets just say that I could buy a M35A2 with winch, and ship it home for what they want for that shaft.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact the closest "Fleetpride" http://www.fleetpride.com/ They are a drive-line specialty shop. They can repair your shaft and add the flanges to make it like the updated shaft.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Brian, just cut it in half with a sawz-all and then thread the ends. Last step, thread some flanges onto the halfs. Now you have a 2 piece(of ****)! :twisted:
I can see from the pics what you need. Don't have one of those, sorry.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've called two of their shops and both told me they can't help. Strange.

Thanks for the tip though.
Very odd. I have never had them not help me. I have gone in with nothing but spline count, diameter and length needed and they were able to fix me up, post haste.:?:

grendel

Sorry for the thread necro, but starting to think about a pony motor to replace the upper CV that let go on the two piece shaft on this M816 sitting here.

Did anyone find a replacement part number?

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if a place like this could rebuild it. The Driveline Shop

Had a 1990 Audi V8 which needed the driveshaft and CV joints rebuilt a ways back. This place did it no problem. That was an oddball car.

Could be worth a call I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks