• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker rear winch worm shaft interchangeability and seals source...

MAZ537

Hello to all forum members,

I have tear down an M125 front winch (same as M543 wrecker rear 45k winch) this one is made by Garwood, the big brass gear is in very good condition , sadly the worm shaft is pitted in the contact area and also at the seals areas so it is junk.I found an very good wormshaft but it is made by Tulsa instead...Can I mix these parts or should I have to wait for an Garwood wormshaft instead ?Also any source to get both front and rear seals for this winch ???

Thanks !

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cannot comment about your interchangeability. I can say whether or not you need to replace it depends on how severe the pitting is on the worm surfaces. Is it general or only on one side, hopefully not on the load side of the teeth? I ran a Mopar 4.10 ring and pinion rear gear set with considerable pitting on the gears in drag racing for years with no failure. I considered the pits held an oil supply for the contact area! You can also factor in how much you will use the winch. If only occasionally then it will not be a problem unless the pitting is severe, removing metal in a patch all the way across some teeth.
For the damaged seal surfaces you can get Speedi-Sleeves that are a thin stainless sleeve you press over the damaged area to provide a new smooth sealing surface. Automotive supply stores or bearing supply stores have them. Know your exact shaft diameter when you go to source them.
The same parts sources should be able to get seals. The seals should have numbers on them, or you need to know the shaft diameter, seal housing diameter (or seal outside diameter), and seal width. I have encountered the situation where 'civilian' seals you can get are about half as thick as military ones. In that case I just put two civilian ones in the housing, lips facing the oil.

JDToumanian

It shouldn't matter which manufacturer made the part... Like a multifuel engine, the parts are all interchangeable regardless if the engine was made by White, Hercules, or Continental.

You could double-check using the TMs. If you got the shaft from a M543 rear winch and want to use it in a M125 front winch, look up the winches in the parts manuals for both trucks. If the part numbers and / or NSN numbers are the same, it will work.

Jon

MAZ537

The worm shaft is toast for sure (from pitting) as this winch was drained from oil and sit for a loong time outside, it will eat the brass gear under load soon , and this winch it will be going to used almost daily...
Your thought sounds good Jon...Now where I will find an M125 parts TM is another story...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks