• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wrecker torque rod / dog bone

Sephirothq

After quite a bit of searching in the 5 ton forums. I haven't found much of anything on replacements and what parts will interchange.

I am looking to see if the dog bone / torque rods what ever you want to call it from an M816 wrecker are the same between the other M809 trucks. Are they the same as the M939 trucks.

Also I am looking for info on how to replace them.
Has anyone done the torque rods on a wrecker?

I saw something about the srping need to be removed due to the top beam, is that just for the top or the bottom also?

I am looking to replace the entire rod with another one ready to go. I have seen a few posts about bad ends which were brand new.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they are different, it should be listed as a different part in the -20P or -34P TM. It would have a different NSN.

M813A1

The M816 / M936 Torque rods should be the same because the rear axle spread on a Wrecker, Cargo, Dump and Tractors. The Bridge truck has a longer spread to the rear axles and needs a longer torque rod. So you should be Ok witha standard torque rod . But you should get a measurement from center to center and check that with a different model truck to make sure. Good Luck

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Been there, done this

On a WRECKER the walking beam that is on top of the springs needs to be removed to replace the TOP two, the four lowers can be removed with axle on a block because the tires need to be pulled, also removing the axle torque rod brackets make life a LOT easier.

Removing the top torque rods, have fun

What you have to do is jack the right side rear up, block the axles, pull the tires, put a jack under the trunnion, jack till the load is OFF the spring, bring out and drop the OUTRIGGERS, set then so they take the truck weight, either leave the trunnion jack or block, remove the spring u-bolts, remove the walking beam (becareful it weighs about 350 lbs) remove the troque rod retaining nuts, a BIG HAMMER will be your friend to knock out the stud, remove the axle brackets.

When installing, anti-seize, fit the troque to the frame bracket and the axle bracket BEFORE YOU TIGHTEN the nuts, snug the AXLE nut then move a bit so you can get a wench on it, tighten, then do the frame nut, when you tighten the spring bolts, you HAVE to have the truck weight on the springs

After you do the tops, the lowers WILL be a cake walk

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Vintage iron

How much longer are the bridge truck torque rods? I want to spread my rear axles on my M923. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. I am just curious.

rangereter

My guess is that the bridge truck torque rods are one inch longer than other models. You can replace the upper torque rods on the M936 without removing the load beams...just make sure you read the TM and get the bushing pre-load in the right ballpark (been there and done that).
Regards, Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks