• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker wishlist of mods

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
set back option

Jeff - I was walking past mine the other day and thinking about the nose weight or lack of issue.......
How hard would this be?
936slid tandems.jpg or 816M816 setback.jpg Longer prop, brake lines...... what else?

Looks a little more purpose built than 'let's take a cargo truck, throw on a crane and beef up the chassis and call it good'.
The benefits at the working end would way off set any issues associated with turning circle increase...

NB. Idea date stamped 25 Nov 2015 - zebedee concepts!!!!!

Csm Davis

Jeff - I was walking past mine the other day and thinking about the nose weight or lack of issue.......
How hard would this be?
936View attachment 595917 or 816View attachment 595918 Longer prop, brake lines...... what else?

Looks a little more purpose built than 'let's take a cargo truck, throw on a crane and beef up the chassis and call it good'.
The benefits at the working end would way off set any issues associated with turning circle increase...

I like it but think that the problem is that the rear winch may be in the way.

rangereter

I have also grappled with the trunnion being so many feet away from the hook. I still plan on putting air springs between the rear axle and frame someday to at least get a couple of feet more leveredge. Putting about 900 pounds counterweight on the front bumper has helped out for most tows.
RDSC05243.jpgegards, Bob

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Found these pics of my old wrecker.

They rebuilt the engine and added the big hydraulic scotches on the rear.

The guy that rebuilt it was an old school Cummins doctor and I was told he really twisted it's tail.

The poor wrecker is languishing in his storage yard because none of his drivers wants to drive it.

He runs a commercial tow service and a big scrapyard. He bought the wrecker to use the rotator to flip trailers with but I don't think it has pulled a single mission since being refurbed.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How hard would this be?
936View attachment 595917 or 816View attachment 595918 Longer prop, brake lines...... what else?

Just a m819, the perfect wrecker

rangereter

wreckerman, I think that I would definitely have a good time "absorbing" a beir while studying the finer characteristics of the hydro-chock engineering of your old machine!
Regards, Bob

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
wreckerman, I think that I would definitely have a good time "absorbing" a beir while studying the finer characteristics of the hydro-chock engineering of your old machine!
Regards, Bob
Since this guy used to give me premium money for my scrap I was in and out while they were doing the rebuild and modification.

Lots of love and skill went into that truck.

He said he'll take 10 grand for it as it sits.

I have found some interesting stuff while scrounging through his yard.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
For you younger wrecker owners, a old wrecker trick to move the pivot point to the rear on three axle wreckers was to insert a OAK wedge in the rear spring pockets, this transferred the pivot point to the rear axle, the wrecker drivers always carried a couple of sets, most had a wood screw eye bolt in the fat end with a lite chain attached with a snap hook on the other end so the chain could be hooked to something so the wedge does not get lost and also something to pull the wedge out. before the lift, the driver put a block in front of #2 axle tires, drove up on it which tended to lower the rear axle so the wedges could be installed. the wedges did not have sharp angle but more of a splitting wedge angle, this helped keeping the wedges from chitting out. DO NOT USE STEEL WEDGES for this, they WILL get CHIT out.

rangereter

DSC05327.jpgDSC05326.jpgDSC05325.jpg

Ron, I thought before about using removable wedges under the rear axle, but the 936 is more convoluted in the frame axle area than the older juice brakers? If a length of hardwood was temp "clamped" to the frame over the grommet would do the same job of filling the void and moving back the fulcrum I guess. Still planning on putting in dash controlled air springs (things to do list) in this little area. Also last year make a post to stow the hitch up and out of the way when not in use. Fabbed in a center hitch pin on the front hitch counterweight (never liked pulling on just one frame rail) and the welded on hooks were "scrap yard" treasures.
Regards, Bob

1954 COE

That is an awesome front bumper counterweight and rear lift modification. Is that your design? How much weight did it add to the bumper? Do you have any
build pictures of the rear lift mount?
Thanks,

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yeah Ron you like your wrecker but 819's aren't perfect no rear winch.
That small draw back is about to change, I have EVERYTHING needed to remedy that small issue except time, so then I WILL have the ONLY m819 with a 5th wheel and a rear winch.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
View attachment 596064View attachment 596065View attachment 596066

Ron, I thought before about using removable wedges under the rear axle, but the 936 is more convoluted in the frame axle area than the older juice brakers? If a length of hardwood was temp "clamped" to the frame over the grommet would do the same job of filling the void and moving back the fulcrum I guess. Still planning on putting in dash controlled air springs (things to do list) in this little area. Also last year make a post to stow the hitch up and out of the way when not in use. Fabbed in a center hitch pin on the front hitch counterweight (never liked pulling on just one frame rail) and the welded on hooks were "scrap yard" treasures.
Regards, Bob
The wedges would go between the walking beam end and the top of the spring bracket.

rangereter

That is an awesome front bumper counterweight and rear lift modification. Is that your design? How much weight did it add to the bumper? Do you have any
build pictures of the rear lift mount?
Thanks,
Thanks 1954 COE, don't have any "in process" pics during the rear hitch build (it was a hurry up and "gitter done" weekend project). The front weight added roughly 8-900lbs, and like I said, for most towes it has helped a great deal. When I pick a truck and my steer axle loses safe "road pressure", then we switch to plan "B", but for the most part no problem (as long as I remember that slow is ok). Removing the spare tire and putting an 8500 watt gen/welder in it's location added more weight towards the steer axle. I think the last time the truck went over the scales it weighed in about 39K. Ron, I think if you wedge between the spring bracket and the beam, the fulcrum is still the trunion?
Regards, Bob014.jpgDSC03062.jpgDSC03065.jpgDSC03064.jpg

Csm Davis

Thanks 1954 COE, don't have any "in process" pics during the rear hitch build (it was a hurry up and "gitter done" weekend project). The front weight added roughly 8-900lbs, and like I said, for most towes it has helped a great deal. When I pick a truck and my steer axle loses safe "road pressure", then we switch to plan "B", but for the most part no problem (as long as I remember that slow is ok). Removing the spare tire and putting an 8500 watt gen/welder in it's location added more weight towards the steer axle. I think the last time the truck went over the scales it weighed in about 39K. Ron, I think if you wedge between the spring bracket and the beam, the fulcrum is still the trunion?
Regards, Bob
Well Ron may not come back just yet but yes that is right but it works by effectively raising the rear of the truck when you add the load, it doesn't let it sink as far as if you didn't use the block. Now as to where you want to use the air bags that might work but it will put the whole load on that one axle, and it will be hard to find a setup that will let the suspension move properly.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ron, I think if you wedge between the spring bracket and the beam, the fulcrum is still the trunion?
Regards, Bob
Wrong, the rear axle becomes the pivoit point because the the axle set can no longer move around the trunion, once the wedges set, the weight transfers to the rear axle off the trunion. Run #2 axle up on a block (this opens the gap between the walking beam and the stop for #3 axle), set your wedges, drive off the block, now the rear axle is loaded and the truck weight is moved about 4' forward.

Bob, how about more pictures of the rear tow rig

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob, how about more pictures of the rear tow rig
Go back to post 150, 153 and 163. I think we were talking about this back then.
What pics do you want? - I've got 30/40 or so of other trucks with Holmes 750 and 850 gear..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks