• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman pulls two trailers

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Went on a mission today to bring back two semi-trailers from Redstone. I borrowed my buddy's M915 (actually the first M915 I ever bought) to do the recovery.
Murphy put in an appearance early when I discovered that the brakes would not release on the first trailer I hooked to (bad air distribution valve). I had intended to use it to put the other one on but as we all know "the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray".
I hooked to the other trailer and backed it up the the loading dock, dropped it and went back and hooked to the first trailer. Crawled under it and caged all the brakes and backed it onto the other trailer.
Got it chained down about the time the rain started, found out the wiper blades on the tractor were FUBAR and almost useless.
Took off and about 10 miles down the road remembered I had not given Teresa her copy of the Pickup Authorization Form. Called her and was told to fax it ASAP.
Got ahead of the rain and managed to get home without too much further aggravation (had to stop twice to retighten chains since the trailer brakes were caged and it tended to move a little).
All in all not too bad a deal......didn't lose any skin or blood.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What speed was safe for that load? I've seen trailers sold stacked like that often but always wondered "what if.."
It's as safe as any other load if chained properly. Personally I'd have probably backed off the caging bolts but as long as it's chained good it should be fine.

Just wondering why you didn't lower the landing gear on the top trailer?

Otherwise looks good.
Really no reason to as long as you're under 13' 6". Most of the time when you see the gear lowered is when they haul 3 trailers to keep them under 13' 6".

WM, when I read the title I though you were going to be pulling doubles.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What speed was safe for that load? I've seen trailers sold stacked like that often but always wondered "what if.."
I putt-putted along at about 50MPH which is a good speed for the M915 with the Allison in it. It was mostly flat land with two decent hills to climb.

Just wondering why you didn't lower the landing gear on the top trailer?
Because I would have been hung out in the breeze trying to dolly it down. At my age I can't afford to fall on my butt onto the asphalt.

WM, when I read the title I though you were going to be pulling doubles.
That was my original thought but the voices in my head over ruled me.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most important thing, when your stacking trailers, is to make sure the landing gear of the top trailer is sitting directly on top of a cross member, and not just on the deck boards. I have seen what happens, if they break through. Two is a good load. Three is top heavy, and you need to be vigilant.

agazza2

Thanks for the pics and info. I have seen quite a few of them at Redstone, and also wondered about bringing them back due to height. Good information from Rosco as well. This is the type of recovery I bought my M915A1 for as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was slightly disappointed when I saw the pics as well. I was expecting to see 2 trailers being towed, not one trailer with a load on top. Frankly I was hoping to see the lunacy of seeing that ooomus goomus long cargo truck with a converter dolly towing one trailer with a converter dolly and the second trailer. Nothing like seeing 125' of truck cruising down the highway.

Scarecrow1

Good to see all went well with the recovery. Like you said it is a good thing when you don't pay for it with another payment of blood and skin to boot............

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How can you call that a recovery if you didn't lose any skin or blood?

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was slightly disappointed when I saw the pics as well. I was expecting to see 2 trailers being towed, not one trailer with a load on top. Frankly I was hoping to see the lunacy of seeing that ooomus goomus long cargo truck with a converter dolly towing one trailer with a converter dolly and the second trailer. Nothing like seeing 125' of truck cruising down the highway.
And Wreckerman would still be trying to talk his way out of a huge fine and tow bill. Can't have doubles any longer than 2 28', except on the Fla turnpike on the east coast.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My original intent was to pull them stacked with the M927 and coverter dolly but a couple of issues came up.
(1) Redstone has almost no tractors on the lot that I could have used to back one trailer onto the other (backing with the converter dolly is a no go).
(2) I didn't think the M927 could put enough air on the trailer brakes to release them and I was right (it took 120 PSI to get them to release).
(3) The DOT is prone to set up a checkpoint on my route and I didn't think they would like the setup.
(4) My buddy was not using the M915 and offered it to me (I just replaced the fuel I used).
(5) In my old age my threshhold for adventure has risen considerably (discretion is the better part of valor).
(6) Safety.

How can you call that a recovery if you didn't lose any skin or blood?
I didn't lose skin or blood but I did go thorugh my entire store of profanity while re-tighting chains in the rain while drooling morons passed within inches of me on the side of the four lane road. Plenty of room to move over but they were too busy on their handheld devices.:mad:

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't lose skin or blood but I did go thorugh my entire store of profanity while re-tighting chains in the rain while drooling morons passed within inches of me on the side of the four lane road. Plenty of room to move over but they were too busy on their handheld devices.:mad:
I guess that counts for something.

3dAngus

Don't kid yourself Steve. He's gonna lose plenty of blood when Teresa gets hold of em'. :jumpin:

It ain't over yet.... :wink:

Glad it all went well WM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks