• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman's M927A3 cargo/tractor truck

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:
If you put the steer axle under the open part of the frame below the 5th wheel you should have more than enough room.
I hadn't thought about that. If I reverse the axle the steering box would be behind the bed.....but then it might be high enough interfere with the turning of the trailer. Maybe it could be mounted upside down under the frame.
This is why I don't do much design and modification work.:cookoo:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur

Well she made the trip to the Flying J truck stop at exit 138 just fine. Pulled like a champ and a lot less pucker factor than dragging the trailer on a tow dolly.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. We should be on site at Durhamtown early in the morning.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M819 was a proven design. Since you dont have much design experience (respectfully, you said that), you could just copy the M819 with pride. Move the tandems back and have a cargo bed there instead of a crane. you want your drive axles under where all the weight would be... right under the 5th wheel. Hydraulic operated steer axle just seems like a pain in the butt. Its not like your axles are going to be overloaded where you will need an extra axle to warrant the use of another axle. Save the money, move the tandems back and call it a day. It is to know that you dont have to second guess your design since you will be using it on the open road. If you know the M819 wheel base design works, then go with that. It would be nice to have the warm fuzzy feeling knowing you used the K.I.S.S. method in your design and it works.

"A man has got to know his limitations" -Clint Eastwood

goldneagle

What about using a rear axle with all the gears removed. Since the wheels are free spinning they may not interfere in the turns. You can always add lockers to one of the other rear axles. I had a tri-axle equipment trailer I used for years and it was no problem in turns.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The rig made it to the GA Rally and back with no mechanical issues.
It will not turn too tight so I had to get a tractor to pull the trailer out to when I could back straight under it (the MKT Prime Mover was in the way).
I haven't decided if I'll leave it like it is or revert it back to the original bed.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The M819 was a proven design. Since you dont have much design experience (respectfully, you said that), you could just copy the M819 with pride. Move the tandems back and have a cargo bed there instead of a crane. you want your drive axles under where all the weight would be... right under the 5th wheel. Hydraulic operated steer axle just seems like a pain in the butt. Its not like your axles are going to be overloaded where you will need an extra axle to warrant the use of another axle. Save the money, move the tandems back and call it a day. It is to know that you dont have to second guess your design since you will be using it on the open road. If you know the M819 wheel base design works, then go with that. It would be nice to have the warm fuzzy feeling knowing you used the K.I.S.S. method in your design and it works.

"A man has got to know his limitations" -Clint Eastwood
This would be the BEST way to go, If you want, I will do the build, give me a call (when my phone is working again), The 927/928 has a reinforced frame to start with, so the frame should not be a issue.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you are going to do the build why not mount a deuce dropside behind the cab, then a knuckle boom, then the fifth wheel, this setup would solve a bunch of issues AND look good.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur

If you are going to do the build why not mount a deuce dropside behind the cab, then a knuckle boom, then the fifth wheel, this setup would solve a bunch of issues AND look good.
I had a deuce dropside bed but sold it before I decided to do the conversion. The issue with any bed is that the front of the trailer hits the bed under certain types of maneuvers depending on terrain. A shorter bed would also have looked strange because it would have ended between the tandems.
If I had the money for a crane that idea would be great. I would then add a custom bed with no sides or tailgate to avoid the rubbing issue.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of great ideas when you are working with another mans money. Quite different when it's your own. He is the take from someone who can't just go get a crane. Without saying I told you so, I knew they would hit. The 12' deuce bed fixes this. If you were worried about looks of where the bed ends, look at the truck as is. Not very common looking. Here is my on a budget look. Scrap crane idea for now. Even with a 12' bed there isn't enough real estate. Later, if you get one, mount it in the bed. Move the tandems to the rear. Only costs labor modest line extensions and a new drive shaft. A properly engineered cargo tractor would likely have a decent resale.

Would also be the perfect truck for an FWTD.

That would be a cool looking long wheel base cargo tractor if you were to slide the tandems under the 5th wheel, but definitely a lot of extra work. Plans are currently in the works to convert my m925 into a long wheel tractor with the winch moved from the front bumper to being mounted behind the cab like a winch truck. Like recovery4x4 said, it has a lot to do with time and money. Always seem to be short on at least one. Most times both...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks