• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckers: Do people buy them for hobby or use?

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Title sums up the question. I understand why folks buy cargo, dumps, vans, and tractors as those all have utilitarian value in and out of the field. I figured wreckers would be one of the cheaper purchases since they have no cargo space, probably are a pain for maintenance to keep operational, and have limited use outside of recovery ops in a field environment. But they tend to go for decent money so was curious the thought buying process.

Ajax MD

I bought my M813 for recreation and light hauling. You pretty much covered why I didn't buy a wrecker- too little practical use for me and too much additional maintenance.
They are amazing pieces of engineering though. I do believe that some people have bought them just for fun, simply because they're so impressive.

Oddly, I kind of wish that I had bought a dumper. Shorter wheel base and they could still be configured for cargo and troop carrying with bows and covers.
If I had done better research, I would have known this. For me, the dump hydraulics wouldn't even need to be functional. The 800 series dumpers are pretty old now, and most I've seen are pretty rough so it's probably just as well.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use my M936, I replaced a motor in a m923 with it, I lift heavy things. But your right it does have limited uses. It is great for displays and shows.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my M816 strictly to use on my own property. I buy and sell/part out deuces as a hobby and it is so much safer lifting heavy stuff with the wrecker than when I used to use my Bobcat. Pulling a multifuel with a skid loader while you're staring at the crank pulley was not a safe way to do it, not to mention hanging 2 5-ton tires on the back for a counter weight. Now I fire up the wrecker, haul or drag a deuce up by the shop and safely pull the parts I need.

dmetalmiki

My M62 has been faultless for over 12 years. And we use it for loading stuff, (Like 5 or 6 ton forklifts) on occasion. Having a large collection of trucks, that it what it has been used for quite often. Recovery.
I would not be without one with so much stuff in our itinerary.

We have sold a few all for vocational end use. One was to a large surface mine who used wreckers exclusively for working on drag line buckets. Another was for a towing company who did beach recoveries. They are also handy for pulling stuck semi truck drivers who jackknife their trailers or who get one side of their tandems off the road during spring thaw. The pure empty weight of the wrecker alone will pull heavy things without spinning a tire.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A wrecker is on my list of trucks to buy, it will make a big difference when working on these trucks!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have one, you will never be without one, they are indispensable! I have a M543A2 and a M936A2, the 543A2 I am thinking about donating to our local Air and Military Museum but the 936 I will keep!!!! My son has no interest in the collection, but after using the 936 one afternoon he let me know the other trucks will go to the auction block but SAM_0771.jpghe will be keeping the wrecker!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My restored wrecker picking up a halftrack that needs restoration...need I say more? Major attention getter at events, extremely useful for many tasks including supporting the hobby...the best of both worlds not to mention a gun ring.

Attachments

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This... just this. Force multipliers is what I call them - I get far more work done with them than otherwise possible.

Ajax MD

I hope all you wrecker owners will support us poor, cargo box driving slobs when we're broke and need help! ;)

AMGeneral

I actually have owned 3 5 ton wreckers, an 816, an M543A1 and a M62A1, as well as a M553 10 ton wrecker, and as someone else stated, once you have one, you'll never be without one!

Just a few pics of them, some working and some not.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks