• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WRMorrison's "just another bobber" thread

WRMorrison

I stopped by the shop last night after work and got started on the rear blocks / spring perches on the waterjet. For this smaller-sized machine, it's going to take nearly 2 hours per block @ 2.5" thick. I also need to cut out some spring plates.

-WRM

Attachments

Last edited:

WRMorrison

I also put the trailer bed on just as light was fading for the heck of it. Note: rear axle obviously isn't in the right spot yet, and there's no real "suspension" yet, so that's why there's a lot of rake in it at the moment.

-WRM

IMG951979.jpgIMG955518.jpg

WRMorrison

Well, if you've read my posts lately, then you know that I've been having problems getting my wheels/tires from Hooks, TX to AZ. So, I've decided to just sell the items to another forum member in TX. I found a place in Tucson that sells the tires that I really wanted in the first place (16.00 XZL's) and will be picking up a set this Saturday. They might also have some wheels (they weren't sure yet) so I'll check on that while I'm there.

If anyone has nothing better to do this Sunday, I'll be at Local Motors all day working on it. Here comes the saw!!! I also got one of the rear blocks (for the trailer springs) cut out on the waterjet; still need to make the other and the two plates that go on top of the springs. On the bottom of the blocks, I didn't make the relief radius on the bottom large enough (for the axle tube seam), but I'll fix that on the next block. I also updated the drawing above to reflect the change.

-WRM

2013-06-19_17-41-09_274.jpg2013-06-19_17-41-03_898.jpg

Last edited:

WRMorrison

Lookin good! Wish I was closer so I could lend a hand! What are you gonna have to do to clear those big meats?
I'm still doing research on it, but I'd like to use a 6" lift if possible. If not, I'll go with an 8" lift similar to this one:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?50778-Lifting-a-Bobbed-Deuce

Not sure about the wheels yet though... Hopefully, the place I'm buying the tires from has some wheels for sale.

If you were here, I sure could have used that wrecker a few times already...

-WRM

350TacoZilla

truck is looking good, bobbing them is strange its alot of work but it really isnt at same time. just be glad you have something that can pick up the axles, my 923 5 tons were too heavy for my dads skid steer.

also I hate to be the one to point this out but should this thread be in the 2.5ton hot rodding section not the 5ton?

WRMorrison

I just got a call from Local Motors and my other rear block/spring perch and top spring plates are finished on the waterjet. So, it looks like the saw is coming out this Sunday!!

-WRM

WRMorrison

This morning I borrowed a trailer and headed down to Tucson to pick up my tires (16.00 XZL's)...they barely fit...:lol: I pre-paid for 4 tires at 50% tread or less, but got tires that appear to be 75% or better! Also, they were already mounted on 12 bolt MRAP wheels and the owner of the place made me a SMOKIN' deal on them; couldn't be happier!!!

:doghead:

Here's a few pics of them loaded in the trailer and a few more once they got to their destination:

tires8.jpgtires7.jpgtires5.jpgtires2.jpgtires6.jpgtires1.jpgtires4.jpgtires3.jpg

Thank GOD for forklifts...

I'm sure others have found this place, but it appears to be a honey hole for military tires!! I got 4 tires (great tread) mounted on MRAP's for $900 out the door!

It's a family-owned business, and they're really nice people. The owner also mentioned that he got some new, "rare" tires in recently; 7.00-16's if anyone is interested. Anyway, these folks literally have acres of tires and wheels (along with a bunch of other stuff I saw like engines, etc.) if anyone is interested.

Alpha Tread
4301 E Irvington Rd
Tucson, AZ 85714

Talk to John (owner) at 520-780-7009

Tell him Rich Morrison from SteelSoldiers sent 'ya! They'll also ship he said.

-WRM

Last edited:

350TacoZilla

looking good, you deuce guys get some lucky breaks since there are adapters avail for different wheels, 5 ton has less following for that.

oh and just for future reference those are actually MTVR wheels not the mrap dunno if it makes a difference on the adapters.

WRMorrison

just for future reference those are actually MTVR wheels not the mrap dunno if it makes a difference on the adapters.
I wish I knew more about this stuff, at least as far as identifying certain things goes. To me, these look just like MRAP wheels that I saw in another post. The wheels are about 35 miles away from my house; if I were to drive there, is the NSN stamped on the wheel somewhere? Or, how can you tell that these are MTVR wheels? I wish I could find some sort of high-res photo that compares all the wheels to help with identification. Maybe I'll put one together...

-WRM

350TacoZilla

I put together one pic with few of the wheels that I made to help 5 ton guys out so doesnt have deuce wheels but should help on identifying some wheels, easy way to tell is the 16.00's were not put on mraps originally so mrap wheels usually have 395's or 365's, also mrap wheels have a flat wheel face that sets in alittle with more bolts holding it together.HEMTT vs 5ton 20x10 2pc wheels.jpg

WRMorrison

Thanks for the pic 'zilla; I appreciate it! I stopped by today to take a few more pics of the (apparently) MTVR wheels and tires:

2013-06-24_10-25-48_344.jpg2013-06-24_10-25-36_734.jpg2013-06-24_10-17-59_971.jpg

In the last pic, I assume this is the date code? If I'm not mistaken, these tires were manufactured in the 51st week of 2009? I'm currently researching to find out what the backspacing is on these wheels so that I can compare them to the MRAP's (since I know they'll work for me with readily available adapters). If I can't find the info, I'll try and break one of these down to measure (NOT looking forward to that...).

I was able to pull a few numbers / stampings off the wheels also:

MFR 20076 (Titan Wheels)
05-15913
20x10.0

04 07 10

DOT "T"

MAX TIRE PRESSURE 105 PSI

Titan EW 03 01 10 S1

05 0949350

USA 20x10.0 312

The pilot diameter of the two halves also varied slightly. The outer section of the wheel had a pilot diameter of roughly 12.1875", and the inner section had a pilot diameter of roughly 12.125". The bolt pattern measured 13.1875". *all measurements were taken with tape measure and eyeball*

-WRM

Last edited:

WRMorrison

I didn't have as much time to work on this project this weekend as I had hoped, but I was able to make a little progress. I was able to remove the temp. "suspension" and put the leaf pack on (just tacked on in the right position for the time being) with the new blocks/perches, u-bolts and top plates:

2013-06-24_10-21-36_145.jpg2013-06-24_10-21-42_370.jpg2013-06-24_10-21-56_472.jpg2013-06-24_10-21-16_437.jpg

With any luck, I'll have them bolted in and the frame shortened this coming weekend. It's starting to come together...

-WRM

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks