• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wrong airpack on deuce

ctmustang

wanted to pick some of your brains. why does this air pack on my deuce not look like other deuce air packs? master cylinder looks rite best I can tell. have a brake problem and need to rebuild airpack but I realized it looks different from other 2.5 ton airpacks I have seen.
any ideas?
thanks yaw
C.T.:roll::roll:

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 styles of airpacks on deuces. A new and old style (length is different). Be sure to get the right rebuild kit if you go that route.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the old 80's style but my Stude's came with the long one with the studs on the cover. My Studes are all dated 1953 and I'm pretty certain that the one off the M108 was original, still had strata blue paint on it! No mods, they are completely interchangeable.

ctmustang

I was hoping to lube the pack but unless I'm missing something there's no way to lube this one- no square plug on the back. am I wrong? any pics outthere of the newstyle installed on the truck. may want to just swap over since valve in my pack is stuck.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can lube it, pull that "J" shaped air line off and lube away. Can all of you folks saying the shorter one is the older one, tell me where you got that info? I've been around these trucks along time and many friends been around them even longer. I've never seen an old truck (gasser) with one unless it was a retrofit. I'm pretty certain that the short one without the rear studs is the new one!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, not too many of the little can ones out there. Many times more of the longer ones. The longer ones are the old style.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I read, here, that the rebuild kits for the airpack were the same for the old, long, and the new, short, airpacks?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, you are right the short one is the newer one. The NSN's are different for the rebuild kits too.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to clarify a bit. The NSN's are the same for the Hydrovac's, it's the part numbers that are different since they are interchangeable. NSN for both is 2530-00-040-2188 however the newer short one has p/n: 12368255 and the older long one has p/n: 8345003. There are two different NSN's for the long/short rebuild kits, however, I can't tell which is for which hydrovac. I would think any of the dealers could tell which fits which. (I think the 2190 is the old one).

Last edited:

dieselsmokem35a2

Just to add my two cents......I had found a good deal on fleabay about two years ago on a brand new airpack so I bought it for spare parts in case the one on the truck ever went. Even though there was nothing wrong with the one on the truck, I recently swapped em out. I thought I would switch it out just to see if it made a difference. The one that was on the truck was the long version. The one I bought and put on was the short version. The swap was a cinch and everything was very interchangeable. The breaks felt much firmer afterward but that could just be from new brake fluid, bleeding, etc. I couldn't tell you though which one is the "new version" or "old".

ctmustang

thanks

Thanks everybody for your response. nothing like the words of somebody that has been there aand done that-whatever the case may be. And a big thank you to Deuceman51 for some great-straightforward advice that he put on me in English so I could understand!:-D