• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrong Glow Plugs.

Tim Sothard

So this is my fault for not reading more into the system at the time but 2 years ago is when I changed my glow plugs. I found a place on ebay that was selling them diesel RX brand or something. I got 24v plugs thinking that's what was stock. Now flash forward I'm getting way more into reading information on the electrical system in hopes to be able to fix some of the gremlins and today I figured out that I have the wrong plugs. When I installed them 2 years ago I didn't notice anything different. And nothing acted goofy at all. My question is why are they working if their the wrong plugs?

Assel

the glowplugs you bought were designed for 24V ? maybe they work but just take much longer to heat up than 12v´s ? if it works I wouldnt worry about it. If you have starting problems, rough idle at the beginning and lots of smoke you should maybe switch over to AC delco 60g or Ac delco 13g?

Tim Sothard

Yes, they were listed as cucv 24v plugs. Unless they lied and their actually just 12v. I cant wrap my head around why they work tho. They cycle for 15-20 seconds on a cold morning so Im not sure if that's typical or not.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What type of terminal ends are they? Narrow spade, wide spade or bullet?

More that likely they are 12v and they lied about them being 24v.

PJL

I just installed a set of AC Delco 60g's in mine. Had to cut off all the connectors and attach wider ones. They are 12 volt. Truck starts right up now.

I put a volt meter on the relay and when first turned on the voltage read around 8 volts. Quite a huge draw. As they warmed up the voltage climbed to near 12 before they shut off. They will come on when cranking and for a short time afterwards.

I had a close call with 3 of the original Wellman glow plugs that were in it. 3 on the left side had swelled and did not come out. I put a vise grips on them and carefully pried them out with a screw driver. Nothing broke.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally would swap them out with 60G's.

That way you know exactly what you have and that its correct.

I would rather replace GP's early than continue to run something that is in question.
Sure they work now, but how much longer ?
Will they come out without issue?
Less than $10 each is cheap insurance.

Replace them and have the piece of mind that the correct ones are installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks