• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrong replacement engine fan...

Asymair95

Thank you. This is on my to do list very soon. I found several of my fan mounting bolts (Allen head ones) loose when I bought the truck.

WaRadman

Yes, remove the rubber spacer, and bolt back together.

Coffey, do you remember what size/length bolts you need once the spacer is removed?

View attachment 810767
Thank you, I appreciate your help. I got my fan off today and found that it was worn severely, the holes warped out from about 20 miles of free spin. Now I'm hesitant to go this route, the aluminum hub seems ok though. I guess it depends on how difficult it is to locate a replacement.

Attachments

JD4044M

Boy it sure re/shaped the hub compaired to the one in the other picture. I would be afraid to run the fan to long bolted solid. Seems like the design is for it to slip a little when engaged?? Wonder if those hole are to let some of the worn rubber out as it wears? Being plastic I would be afraid it would wear the holes oblong and maybe get out of balance and shear the small bolts? If it worked better with out the rubber why did the factory put the extra cost into it? Maybe it is meant to slip some starting to stop fatigue of the blade. Then as the rubber wears and dose not clamp as well you should change it out once in a while? I could be totally wrong on this, wish I could look at one put together. That hub had to get hot to re/shape it that way. To much slipping could do this? Tomorrow I will look into my manuals and learn more about it.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy it sure re/shaped the hub compaired to the one in the other picture. I would be afraid to run the fan to long bolted solid. Seems like the design is for it to slip a little when engaged?? Wonder if those hole are to let some of the worn rubber out as it wears? Being plastic I would be afraid it would wear the holes oblong and maybe get out of balance and shear the small bolts? If it worked better with out the rubber why did the factory put the extra cost into it? Maybe it is meant to slip some starting to stop fatigue of the blade. Then as the rubber wears and dose not clamp as well you should change it out once in a while? I could be totally wrong on this, wish I could look at one put together. That hub had to get hot to re/shape it that way. To much slipping could do this? Tomorrow I will look into my manuals and learn more about it.
The hub is aluminum not plastic. The newer, replacement unit is a solid design. No rubber, no slip built in. As you look in the manual, it tells you to replace the old one with the newer design.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It got that way from being beaten to death going around and around. It eventually would have come apart and went everywhere.

Have hrs and hrs on bolted fans
The dumbest engineer got to design this fan with rubber it's useless other than destroying your own truck.

Leave it in there since the factory can't make a design mistake.

WaRadman

It got that way from being beaten to death going around and around. It eventually would have come apart and went everywhere.

Have hrs and hrs on bolted fans
The dumbest engineer got to design this fan with rubber it's useless other than destroying your own truck.

Leave it in there since the factory can't make a design mistake.
Yes, obviously they had problems and updated it quickly. Too bad they changed the bolt pattern, unless they wanted the clutch updated too. On mine I know when it came apart and I was about 20 mile from home in the dark after a 200 mile trip so it was press on regardless mode. I'm going to get a different early fan and hub and bolt it solid as advised. Tacoma bolt has high strength allen heads and I'm sure it will be okay. Thanks for your advice!

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, obviously they had problems and updated it quickly. Too bad they changed the bolt pattern, unless they wanted the clutch updated too. On mine I know when it came apart and I was about 20 mile from home in the dark after a 200 mile trip so it was press on regardless mode. I'm going to get a different early fan and hub and bolt it solid as advised. Tacoma bolt has high strength allen heads and I'm sure it will be okay. Thanks for your advice!
You are correct on them updating the clutch also. The newer one has studs and nuts instead of bolts.

coachgeo

Thank you, I appreciate your help. I got my fan off today and found that it was worn severely, the holes warped out from about 20 miles of free spin. Now I'm hesitant to go this route, the aluminum hub seems ok though. I guess it depends on how difficult it is to locate a replacement.
take it to a machine shop and have them drill new holes in same pattern..... just off set equally from the old holes. .. or if they feel it better.... weld fill the old holes and then re-drill them. use locktite on the replacement bolts. granted get an estimate first.... if estimate is similar to what folk in here say the replacement tends to run..... then get the new replacement.

JD4044M

Well I will do the bolt on method. I have a bunch of Allen bolts that have shoulders on them so the smooth part in the hole not the threads. Not paying 700.00 for a bolt on one if I can do the same thing and probley with better bolts.

I will use these bolts or type of Allen Head Grade 8 hardness.
DSCF2734.JPG

Last edited:

WaRadman

Well I will do the bolt on method. I have a bunch of Allen bolts that have shoulders on them so the smooth part in the hole not the threads. Not paying 700.00 for a bolt on one if I can do the same thing and probley with better bolts.

I will use these bolts or type of Allen Head Grade 8 hardness.
View attachment 810853
Where will you source those bolts from? We have a Tacoma Bolt store but those look even more special. I went to junior High in Grand Coulee so Omak and Okanogan was always a fun place to visit.

JD4044M

I just had them from what my Father in law left me. Not sure how many I have probley 20-25 of them. Not sure where you would find more?? He was a Machinist and worked for Boeing. I need to count what I have to see if I can spare a bunch?

WaRadman

[Thanks but that's ok, I'm pretty sure I know just what I need and they are here locally and will work fine. I'm getting a good used fan and will eliminate the rubber and bolt up solid. The rubber piece in mine looks like a flat washer so it must have really been wiped out. I got this M1079 from Soap Lake PD, they got tired of fixing things and it was broke down in their yard. Took 3 trips and a new air compressor to get it home.

JD4044M

I found the bolts on line kind of pricey at $1.33 each but this place has them. Not sure they will work as I don't know for sure what the length of the shoulder needs to be? These are 1/4" dia with a 3/8" long Shoulder 10/32 threaded area. There are lots of them under "Shoulder Bolts" These are the ones I have. 1/4" Shoulder Bolt

Question;
When you bolt the fan up what shoulder length for Plastic & Metal & dia of bolt is needed to remove the rubber and bolt the fan solid??

Last edited:

WaRadman

Well the holes are 3/16" so unless they are drilled out, those bolts will be too big. I don't intend on drilling them out, too much chance of error on my old worn out drill press. Hate to have an out of round fan. I'll just go with the #10x32 allen head aircraft bolts with lock nuts. I have another fan coming so until it gets here I won't know the exact dimensions.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normal bolts no shoulder
Like Andy said he had some high grade aircraft bolts from where he used to work on jets laying about.

JD4044M

Never said these bolts were right but did fine where I could get the right sized shouldered bolts once my truck gets here and I can check if it does not have the newer fan already installed. I looked at the new fan in the manuals and they are using 6 - 5/16" Bolts with washers, lock nuts and 1 and a 1/4 or 1/2 long need to look again to get that part right. It was 1 inch and something in length.

WaRadman

Never said these bolts were right but did fine where I could get the right sized shouldered bolts once my truck gets here and I can check if it does not have the newer fan already installed. I looked at the new fan in the manuals and they are using 6 - 5/16" Bolts with washers, lock nuts and 1 and a 1/4 or 1/2 long need to look again to get that part right. It was 1 inch and something in length.
You're looking at the fan clutch to fan mounting bolts. That's the easy way to tell if you have the early vs late fan, early has bolts (allen head on mine) and late has studs. At least that's what I have surmised.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks