• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrong VIN returned on SF-97.

pat038536

The problem is this:
The VIN in the listing was wrong.
Requested SF97, I used the correct VIN as shown on data plate.
GL disregarded the VIN I entered on the request form.. and supplied a third VIN.

For some reason GL attached the manufacturer's number to the end of the original VIN.

I used the text-chat thing.. and explained the situation and now I have to send it back for them to review it.

No eta on how long it will take. **GAH!**

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
For God sake spend the extra dime and get it returned with return receipt signature required. They F'd mine up on my very first GL vehicle buy and I had luckily done just this and was able to prove it was returned. They still wanted to sit on their butts so I enlisted the help of my Congressman.

When dealing with GL, remember that their boss is the contracting officer representative for their contract at Defense Logistics Agency. IF and only IF you really run into a brick wall, option 2 is attempt to contact him through DLA. Failing that, you congressman will. After being there and doing that with the govt, I can tell you, govt employees hate like the ****ens to have to respond to congressmen. I would not consider it the nuclear option but it is one step short of it.

Once my congressman got engaged I had the paperwork in a less than a week.

Good luck

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC is right! Congressional inquiries go to the top and roll downhill. When your bosses, bosses, bosses, boss wants to know why the proper action has not been taken, no one wants to be the one with the paperwork sitting on their desk! Makes everyone in the chain appear as incompetent as so many really are.2cents

Flyingvan911

GL had one digit in my deuce's VIN listed wrong on the webpage and in the paperwork. When I submitted my SF-97 application, they kicked it back for a wrong VIN. They e-mailed me and we got it worked out without too much hassle. Shouldn't they be used to their customers correcting their mistakes?

pat038536

Well, I went looking for the VIN stamped on the front in the places according to the VIN info thread.. no dice. Looks like I'm gonna have to scrape paint to find it.

mdcarriers

Does anyone know if there is any place other than the data plate that would have the VIN number on a XM 747 trailer? This one did not have a data plate and I don't know how to get full VIN.

jasonjc

The problem is this:
The VIN in the listing was wrong.
Requested SF97, I used the correct VIN as shown on data plate.
GL disregarded the VIN I entered on the request form.. and supplied a third VIN.

For some reason GL attached the manufacturer's number to the end of the original VIN.

I used the text-chat thing.. and explained the situation and now I have to send it back for them to review it.

No eta on how long it will take. **GAH!**
The Manufacturer number IS the VIN#! It should be 4 numbers and dash/space then 5 more numbers(unless it is real old). And go by whats on the FRAME not the dash. The dash plate can and does get replaced and there is no telling what Billy Buba/PVT Pile stamped/scrated onto the replacement plate.

flyxpl

out of three trucks from gsa I have had three incorrect VIN #'s on the SF97's . I have yet to get a correct SF 97 from GSA . I have written void across the sf97 and tryed to fax it to them for corrections , but they insist I send them the sf97 back before issuing a new one . I do get the sf 97's much faster then GL though . Usually just about a week .

jasonjc

out of three trucks from gsa I have had three incorrect VIN #'s on the SF97's . I have yet to get a correct SF 97 from GSA . I have written void across the sf97 and tryed to fax it to them for corrections , but they insist I send them the sf97 back before issuing a new one . I do get the sf 97's much faster then GL though . Usually just about a week .

Thats because most pepole don't know what the vin# is on a military truck. And the numbers on the dash tag and the tag it self get changed. A lot of time I see the vin# and the reg # together on the dash tag. Another thing is most DMV's do not under stand military trucks either and want the standard (13-15 didgit not sure) vin# with numbers and letters. So the unknowing add the vin (9 didgit number from the frame) and the militarys registration number together to make the unknowing god's at the DMV happy.

strelnik

For God sake spend the extra dime and get it returned with return receipt signature required. They F'd mine up on my very first GL vehicle buy and I had luckily done just this and was able to prove it was returned. They still wanted to sit on their butts so I enlisted the help of my Congressman.

When dealing with GL, remember that their boss is the contracting officer representative for their contract at Defense Logistics Agency. IF and only IF you really run into a brick wall, option 2 is attempt to contact him through DLA. Failing that, you congressman will. After being there and doing that with the govt, I can tell you, govt employees hate like the ****ens to have to respond to congressmen. I would not consider it the nuclear option but it is one step short of it.

Once my congressman got engaged I had the paperwork in a less than a week.

Good luck
Carnac,
This is wonderful info. I just sent a SF97 into GL and it had a wrong VIN based on the data plate, so I put that info in the comments and sent it electrocnically but I printed out a paper receipt of the electronic stuff. \

If they hose it up, I'll be calling my Congressman and so I'll need the name of the COR at DLA. Plus I have friends at DLA.

This should be fun.

I am in the civil service in a different branch so I can get to them from the inside if I have to, or even maybe find out status, before the s**t hits the fan.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The bad news folks is you MUST return the original incorrect SF97 to get a new one. If you don't you won't get a new one. The SF97 is a controlled document and even if you write your congressman about it, GSA/GL/DRMO have the out that you never returned the controlled incorrect document.

I had to return mine and they claimed FEDEX delivered it to the wrong address. For God sake, spend the dime and send it with a signature required.

strelnik

The bad news folks is you MUST return the original incorrect SF97 to get a new one. If you don't you won't get a new one. The SF97 is a controlled document and even if you write your congressman about it, GSA/GL/DRMO have the out that you never returned the controlled incorrect document.

I had to return mine and they claimed FEDEX delivered it to the wrong address. For God sake, spend the dime and send it with a signature required.

I still have not gotten my SF 97 even though I just applied yesterday.

So they send it in the mail?

Curiously enough, in the package of info from GL, they included all the USAF maintenance paperwork and the original title from GM.

Maybe I should just use that!

Problem is, it wasn't signed.

peashooter

Need Help,
I just went to renew my insurance today and noticed the vin number is wrong (1 number appeared to have been fat fingered). I'm the second owner and have owned it for about 8 months, the first owner bought it from GL in 09. I called the Minnesota department of MV and they told me that the Vin matches the paperwork from the Fed (SF97 i assume) which means that the SF97 was wrong.
How do I get a SF97 form fixed that I dont have and that was done 3 years ago? I dont even know what the department is called that handles these forms. Anyone have a dept name, Email/phone number?
Thanks for any help.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am pretty sure a VIN inspection by a state police officer should do the trick. I bought a trailer in a neighboring state and checked the VIN against the title. One digit was wrong on the title. The seller went to the DMV and initiated paperwork that culminated in a VIN inspection by a state trooper. That paperwork presented to Oregon DMV was accepted and I got title with the correct VIN.

The truck I just bought has the wrong VIN on the paperwork from GL as well. It's going to be fun. :mad:

peashooter

Yeah, the Minnesota DMV told me I had to get the federal paperwork fixed (sf97 I guess) in order to get the state issued title corrected. Yes, this will be fun Im sure.... I dont even know if the SF97 form exists still or not. I never recieved it from the seller, and who knows if he still has it. Best of luck to you as well Beerslayer!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks