• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WS wiper park issues

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have issues with the windsheild wipers not resetting to the rest position when turned off? My positions seem to work, intermittent, slow, fast, but when turned to off, rests in almost the upright position.

scottmandu

Anyone have issues with the windsheild wipers not resetting to the rest position when turned off? My positions seem to work, intermittent, slow, fast, but when turned to off, rests in almost the upright position.
Yes I have but I sold the truck before I could figure out the problem.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I'm thinking...just don't have one to compare too. My wipers sit at the very edge of the lower WS.
once on, they work fine...but they don't store back to the same rest position.
how far down do they start and stop? Is there even a final rest position when off?

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something else to check - make sure the wiper arms themselves are not stripped out and rotating on the splined shafts. That was/is the problem on mine. When I removed the wiper arms to paint them, I noticed the splined shafts on the truck were almost smooth. At first I thought those were stripped out, but then I figured out the wiper arms' soft metal had stuck in those splines making it look smooth. Take a pick and clean out all the splines, reattach the wiper arms in the correct position and tighten them down carefully. The splines are shallow, and the wiper arm metal is soft...so they strip and rotate easily.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to go to the motor and unscrew the retaining nut, rotate them to the correct position then reattach.

Dave
I thought about repositioning the arms on the shaft, but the motor is only designed to only rotate the shaft so far, my wipers stroke is correct for the windshield, but when turned off, parks in the almost,vertical position obscuring your vision.

what,retaining nut are you referring too?

coachgeo

I thought about repositioning the arms on the shaft, but the motor is only designed to only rotate the shaft so far, my wipers stroke is correct for the windshield, but when turned off, parks in the almost,vertical position obscuring your vision.

Take one arm off. Turn wipers on then off. Reinstall the one wiper in position with it in a normal rest position. Now put cloth under that wiper or have friend turn on wipers for you as you stand ready to tilt it away from windshield if things go wonky. Turn on wipers for a test and see what you get?

report back what happens. Should help us help you diagnose.

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Mine cycled correctly as well they just stopped in middle of windshield. It's been two years since I've done it, but I did take a nut loose at the motor rotated the wipers to correct stopped position. Put nut back then turned wipers back on and they were correct. I don't recall but one nut in that area.

Dave

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine cycled correctly as well they just stopped in middle of windshield. It's been two years since I've done it, but I did take a nut loose at the motor rotated the wipers to correct stopped position. Put nut back then turned wipers back on and they were correct. I don't recall but one nut in that area.

Dave
i accessed the motor yesterday, it's some idiots idea of a cruel joke to somehow access the 3 screws holding the
wiper motor on the mounting plate, let alone the nut holding the wiper pivot.
what I have verified is when I go to 0 it does not go to park, when I go to intermittent, wipers work, low works and high wipers do NOT work...as a matter of fact, when I go to high, it stops altogether...so I fiddle with the high setting to get them to park where they should be as if I was using the 0 setting...Jeeze, hope that makes sense.

being I don't have an extra LMTV to play with...can anyone tell me the actual operation?

from the rest position at the bottom of the windshield, when you turn on the switch to intermittent, does it alway return to rest position while they are on, or does it move the wipers about 8in or more to the viewing area of the windshield and only returns to the rest position after being turned off ?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also wonder if maybe my switch is not bad on the steering column....that may be easier to replace first.
anyone have a takeout possibly known working wiper switch lever?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Told you its a pain. I have plenty of parts. The delay relay is an easy swap. There is a plug in piece inline with the wiper motor that may just be for electrical noise reduction. The column switch is easy to get off but getting the wire and connector out from the dash is another thing. You have to take the dash panel off and snake the connector out.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Told you its a pain. I have plenty of parts. The delay relay is an easy swap. There is a plug in piece inline with the wiper motor that may just be for electrical noise reduction. The column switch is easy to get off but getting the wire and connector out from the dash is another thing. You have to take the dash panel off and snake the connector out.

Will, that's not a pain, that's dang near impossible, would have made sense to actually have an external access panal.

I love this truck....but I really think so much of it is a POS on the design and engineering side.
the inline connector I saw and wondered if there are some diodes inline with it...anything is possible I guess.
the simplest maybe to get another working motor and just plug it in without installing it and see if that works.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wipers have worked for a year and a half, but just developed a problem. Intermittent does not work and the blades no longer return to correct parking position. Low and high speeds still work so the motor is basically good. Basic function of the wipers will 'get me by' until it's fixed.

The blades stop where-ever they happen to be when the switch on the stalk is turned off. My first thought was that the wiper ECU (left side of the PDP) was on the blink because it takes care of the intermittent timing. After taking it apart and checking most of the components, I don't think that's the problem. I don't have a replacement and do not find a matching part number through searches. Has anyone found a replacement?

The failure to park correctly has to be related to the motor, I think. Only the motor knows what rotational position the blades are in. So if something on the motor has failed, logic says the lack of intermittent operation is related.

Has anyone had this particular failure? thanks.

Aernan

Read through hole post. Am now kinda confused. Here is what my truck is doing.

1. Wipers don't wipe all the way to driver side left edge of window. Area larger than my hand remains dirty/wet.
2. every wipe on intermittent the wipers to to the bottom of the windshield then return like 1/4 way back up. They end up pausing above the plexi defrost vent. When I turn off the wipers they also stay in this position.

From what I have read it sounds like I have a couple of problems.
1. wiper 0 position needs to be adjusted so wipers are in the down position by rotating the motor?
2. wiper full sweep needs to be adjusted? I saw some per wiper adjustments in the TM so maybe take apart the dash and adjust that leftmost wiper over.
3. Wipers may not be on the correct position on the splines. Remove them and use marker to find full sweep range.

Does that sound correct?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The repair manual, under replacement procedures, shows how to set the wiper arm linkage. Once thats set then you can move the arms for fine adjustment.

coachgeo

Since we are on this topic... and yes I could comb thru the Operators TM for answers but since we are here.... how many settings are on the wipers switch? I've only got two operating. Intermittent and what I'm guessing is full speed. There is a spot on the switch between the two that seems to do nothing. Is this normal?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks