• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTH, Found a tank today.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frodo, good luck with that! STAY IN TOUCH! All kiddin aside, awesome find. However it turns out, you "discovered" it! More than I can say for what I've "done":roll: Metal, even OD metal ain't worth gettin butt stuck in jam with Uncle Sugar. Feds as I remember have low humor tolerance! Everyone, including myself is excellent at giving advise when it isn't our butt in the sling.;-) Take care of yourself! The tank will do the same till someone "rescues" it.:rant:
God Bless,
Tony:-D

frodobaggins

Well everyone. I have the story. And pics of inside the turret when my wife gets back with the camera cable.

It belongs the the local military museum. It's currently where it's at because they can't find a way to get it moved. Needs to go about a mile if anyone wants to help :)

They had a guy going to restore it a few years ago, but that never panned out. I volunteered to help if they can ever get it in a shop.

So, sad to say, we won't be scoring a tank any time soon, as this one belongs to Uncle Sam :(

And to clear things up, it is an M60. They also have a M48 that needs moved a few hundred feet too. I took pics !

Kevin

dk8019

So does anyone in the area have something large enough to move them? It would be a shame to let them sit outside and rust away. I would volunteer, but I don't think my M814 would cut it. ;-)

roscoe

Can it be towed or does it have to be trailered? Doesn't seem like it should be that big of deal to get something set up for such a short distance. I saw them towing a tank on the show "Tank overhaul".

13F10

Well everyone. I have the story. And pics of inside the turret when my wife gets back with the camera cable.

It belongs the the local military museum. It's currently where it's at because they can't find a way to get it moved. Needs to go about a mile if anyone wants to help :)

They had a guy going to restore it a few years ago, but that never panned out. I volunteered to help if they can ever get it in a shop.

So, sad to say, we won't be scoring a tank any time soon, as this one belongs to Uncle Sam :(

And to clear things up, it is an M60. They also have a M48 that needs moved a few hundred feet too. I took pics !

Kevin
Frodo,

I'm in San Antonio, Tx. and hold my CDL Class "A", with hazmat endorsement.

If you can find a Kenworth tractor (rental) that will support the 110,000lbs and a heavy duty utility drop deck, or lowboy trailer, I can drive it anywhere you want. I'm looking around in San Antonio, for a good rental that's affordable, but I doubt I'll find one. I'd need a triple drive axle, with sliding 5th wheel.
Inorder for it to be legal, I'd need placards for the tractor and trailer that CLEARLY state "Not for Hire". I'm looking for those too.

What's the status concerning the drivetrain of the MBT? Operational? Inquire as to whether or not it's capable of being moved in NEUTRAL.

Keep us posted.

Rabbit

DieselBob

Check the local gueard units. They will usually come through on something like this. Sounded like there were some close by.
I had the same thought. Seems this would be a perfect training exercise for a local NG unit to practice rigging and heavy hauling. Kill 2 birds with one stone. (no birds where harmed in the posting of this message)

frodobaggins

Can it be towed or does it have to be trailered? Doesn't seem like it should be that big of deal to get something set up for such a short distance. I saw them towing a tank on the show "Tank overhaul".
It can be towed, however, the biggest problem with that is STOPPING it.
I'm sure that could be overcome.

EZFEED

Hmmm betcha my Praga would pull it in 1st or 2nd in crawler range. If it doesn't weigh much more than a T-55 I know it can. Too bad you're so far away :(

frodobaggins

Frodo,

I'm in San Antonio, Tx. and hold my CDL Class "A", with hazmat endorsement.

If you can find a Kenworth tractor (rental) that will support the 110,000lbs and a heavy duty utility drop deck, or lowboy trailer, I can drive it anywhere you want. I'm looking around in San Antonio, for a good rental that's affordable, but I doubt I'll find one. I'd need a triple drive axle, with sliding 5th wheel.
Inorder for it to be legal, I'd need placards for the tractor and trailer that CLEARLY state "Not for Hire". I'm looking for those too.

What's the status concerning the drivetrain of the MBT? Operational? Inquire as to whether or not it's capable of being moved in NEUTRAL.

Keep us posted.

Rabbit
I don't think they are ready to just jump up and do it, but when I go back to see the rest of the museum, I will mention we have people willing to help. They don't have a lot of money.

The museum itself though, was pretty awesome. I'm definitely going back to see it more in depth.

How would we get it on a trailer ?

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We were planning a move for an M-60 in Ohio, and may still have to do it, its 63 tons, and we'd have to split the load, hull and powerpac on one lowboy, turret (on a turret stand) on the second, that would put us under the 40 tom limit imposed by the ODOT.. (wierd people) We also could move it in one piece with a seven axle "stinger" rig. But it should be able to be towed fairly easily with it in neutral, and with local law enforcement assist, slow enough that any recovery wrecker could pull it and stop it when needed. But it also could be pulled with a heavy road tractor or even some heavy commercial/ farm units.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, the reason ODOT is a little "Wierd", we had a "Sherman" to move, belongs to the Allen County Historical Society in Lima, and they wanted it in Toledo Ohio foir the Memorial Day parade on a Saturday, it needed to be in Lima for their Monday parade.. Simple enough right? WRONG. ODOT says nope, can't move on a weekend, too wide, too heavy, (its 32 tons) and its all one straight shot down I-75, whats the problem? They are, the folks in Toledo even went to the governor of the state who agreed to the move, but ODOT still defied him and it didn't go to Toledo.... Like I said "Wierd" folks those DOT Dweebs..

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other problem with the whole thing is what the 'feds' (read Tank and Automotive Command) want you to do to "demil" the machine. They A. Want you to pull the powerpac, engine and transmission, and return it to them or hand it over to the local Guard folks who would probably destroy it, or B. They send you a bottle of grit, you run up the engine and transmission and dump the grit into the transmission to sieze it up, then you drain the engine oil and run it till it freezes up. Instant demil.
We asked about sending a powerpac to a Canadien provincial military museum that has an M-60 that needs an operational unit. Nope, 9-11 queered that for good. Before somebody who needs it, and is allowed to have it can get it, they want it destroyed. Truely a sad state of affairs.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Frodo......good job on giving closure to the "mystery tank".
At least we know it is not going into the furnace or sit there till it rots away.
Maybe we could organize a SS rally around moving the tank.....since it is so blasted hot in that infernal region you live in I'm thinking November would be a good time to do it.
It prob wouldn't be hard to find some heavy hauler that would do the job for free if he got some publicity (and I just happen to know a former Army PAO type that will work for red beans and rice).
If the museum is a bonafide 501 the hauler could get the full price of the haul as a tax write off.
While we are at it we could give it a facelift.....maybe using paint and materials donated by SS advertisers and patrons.
It would be a fantastic chance to show the SS flag and introduce the public to our hobby.
What say ye Steelsoldier types in LA?

"Rally Around the Tank"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks