• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTK: How to prep for paint on a truck that has a rough heavy duty surface finish

minimalist

My 1009 has a gritty heavy duty finish all over it that a previous owner used when painting before I got it. While being scratch resistant the color has faded so I want to repaint it. I'm not bothered by the finish and grinding the truck completely down to bare metal is not really what I want to do. I simply want to repaint it. Would I use Acetone and then spray with primer and then paint? The finish is very rough (scratchy) so wiping down with a soft cloth is going to tear the cloth I was going to use Gillespie paint in the Vietnam yellow earth for a different look.

acesneights1

You could have it sandblasted. Whatever you do I would not grind it without the proper PPE. The CARC may cause Death...:D

Fleg

You could have it sandblasted. Whatever you do I would not grind it without the proper PPE. The CARC may cause Death...:D
The same PPE should be used no matter what paint you are grinding. Normal automotive paint is just as bad for you as CARC when you take a sander to it.