• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTK: Rear seat mod using late model suburban 3rd seat

minimalist

Has anyone done a rear seat mod using a late model suburban 3rd seat with the built in shoulder belts? I've got a 4 and 6 year old that like to ride with me and I would like the shoulder belts for them. I'm guessing that I should use the frame from the 1009 and attach the seats to the original frame?

top_prop

not sure what seat you are referring to. but i just mounted a seat from a 90's suburban in my 87 suburban. the shoulder straps on it were on a retractor that bolted to the ceiling/wall transition and wouldn't work... so i pulled center lap belts from two other seats and swapped them to the seat i installed in the suburban (my R20 didn't have the third row seat nor the recessed pocket to drop one in... i made brackets out of angle and surface mounted the to the floor). The brackets mount to nuts welded to 2" wide 1/8" stock which are tack welded to the underside of the floor pans so I can pull the seat when i want and leave the brackets or unbolt the brackets.

If you are interested i'll take pics an post them later. right now i'm duty dad.

ETA: got around to taking pics... after welding the plates in I wire wheeled, then primed then hit them with some undercoating... Oh and Shade_tree is about 6'2... and he could sit in the seat and have head clearance though his knees were a bit high... Shade_tree did all the welding.

Attachments

Last edited:

minimalist

not sure what seat you are referring to. but i just mounted a seat from a 90's suburban in my 87 suburban. the shoulder straps on it were on a retractor that bolted to the ceiling/wall transition and wouldn't work... so i pulled center lap belts from two other seats and swapped them to the seat i installed in the suburban (my R20 didn't have the third row seat nor the recessed pocket to drop one in... i made brackets out of angle and surface mounted the to the floor). The brackets mount to nuts welded to 2" square washers which are tack welded to the underside of the floor pans so I can pull the seat when i want and leave the brackets or unbolt the brackets.

If you are interested i'll take pics an post them later. right now i'm duty dad.
I measured and looks like I'll use the frame from the 1009 and figure out how to attach a 2000 up suburban third seat to the frame. Reason being that I want the shoulder belts and they are build into the seat on the 2000 and up suburban.

Barrman

Totally different mounts, but if you have the floor part from a 2000 and up to donate, you can make them fit the back of the 1009. Just be aware the fuel tank is under there in the very back.

Or just weld in hoops above the floor for the mounts. It will be a bit high, but work just fine.

wired1000

Just to clarify, are you talking about using the suburban's third seat as the m1009's rear seat? Or are you talking about adding a 3rd seat to the M1009, so it would have 3 rows? (is there even room for that? I had daydreamed about putting one of those rear-facing station-wagon seats in mine, but I need that space for all the spare parts and tools I carry around all the time)

minimalist

Just to clarify, are you talking about using the suburban's third seat as the m1009's rear seat? Or are you talking about adding a 3rd seat to the M1009, so it would have 3 rows? (is there even room for that? I had daydreamed about putting one of those rear-facing station-wagon seats in mine, but I need that space for all the spare parts and tools I carry around all the time)

I want to replace the 2nd row seat in the 1009 with a third row seat out of a 2000 up suburban so that I will have shoulder belts for the kids (keeps them safer and less hassle from the blue lights, they're harsh around here).

top_prop

I measured and looks like I'll use the frame from the 1009 and figure out how to attach a 2000 up suburban third seat to the frame. Reason being that I want the shoulder belts and they are build into the seat on the 2000 and up suburban.
i can understand that! too bad my junk yard didn't have newer suburbans or I'd have used their seat too!

howardc

Thanks for the link. I'll think about it but I want to figure out a way to use the blazer base and attach the suburban seat to the base so I can retain the original holes.
Did this ever get done? Need to do the same thing to mine for the same reason. Thinking about using a 2003 suburban seat for the LATCH components.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks