• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WVO and Gasoline Engines??

sak00

I've been reading up on WVO and Diesels. And will start running my Deuce on a mixture when I get it on the road. But, one question I have.... Why can you run a mixture of WVO and gasoline in a gas engine? I understand that you can clog up the injectors, but what if it is a carburator motor? Could you run a 30%wvo-70%gas? 20%-80%??
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see the problem at this time. Or I'm not looking at it in the right way.

Thanks for all your help!

JDToumanian

I always thought you couldn't use oily fuels in a gasoline engine because of spark plug fouling... Plug gets oily, engine stops. I used to run Marvel Mystery Oil in a 1966 gas Mercedes I had because it had old style Bosch mechanical fuel injection (neat!) and I wanted to prolong the life of the pump and injectors. If I used a little too much, it would run like crap and the plugs would foul.... and this is like 6oz. per 20 gallons of gas!

Jon

JasonS

Some of the early "semi-diesel" engines had spark plugs. Early tractors and stationary engines burned kerosene once warmed up. Might work.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
wvo works in engines that use compression to ignite flamable fuel (think diesel) Your run of the mill gas powered engine has much lower compression and relies on a spark plug to ignite a combustible fuel (think gasoline). this lack of compression means that the plugs are the only thing that can "fire" the fuel. Evere notice how much tougher it is to get diesel to burn than gas?

houdel

sak00 said:
can you run a mixture of WVO and gasoline in a gas engine?
It ain't going to happen! A gas engine requires a highly volatile fuel (gasoline) to be completely vaporized by the time it reaches the combustion chamber for the fuel charge to ignite by the spark plug. The highest ratio of oil (vegetable, petro or whatever) to gasoline is would be about the oil richest chainsaw mixture, in the range of one part oil to 20 parts gasoline. Even then, you are looking at mucho smoke and early spark plug fouling. Not worth the effort.

WVO works in a diesel engine because the engine does not use spark plugs, but instead uses high compression ratios to ignite the fuel charge, not spark plugs. Even then, except in very high ambient temperatures, the diesel engine must be started on and run on diesel until the WVO has been heated enough that the oil viscosity has been reduced enough for the injection pump to be able to to pump the WVO, and prior to shutdown again run on diesel long enough to purge all the WVO from the fuel system so on restart the engine is running on pure diesel fuel.

It is possible to modify a diesel to run on straight WVO, but it is quite a bit of work and probably not suitable in colder climates due the the higher viscosity of WVO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks