• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WVO or Biodiesel?

GPappy

I ran across a pretty good deal on a Biodiesel processor and 300 gals of WVO. I have been investigating alternative fuels and was wondering if there are advantages to making the WVO into Biodiesel or if I would just be better off with a centrifuge and running filtered WVO or WMO mixed with diesel?

I would be running the fuel in my Deuce and a couple of farm tractors I have.

UNIMOG-GUY

I agree with Bjorn. It all depends on the vehicle that you have and since you have a Deuce A2 with a multifuel and some farm tractors I would just filter the WVO and mix with regular diesel. This way you will save some money by not having to purchase the biodiesel processing equipment. You'll save money by not having to purchase methanol and lye to make the biodiesel.

GPappy

Thanks for the insight. Hard to believe people are spending so much on Biodiesel processors if it doesn't work any better than just burning the WVO. The deuce I understand being that it is multifuel but I didn't know that other diesel engines ran as well on WVO as biodiesel.

Jimma

I filter WVO here at my house. I would not invest in the biodiesel stuff. Too much up front cost and chemicals. I just dont use much of my WVO in the winter when its cold. Real slow starts. I use filtered WMO instead but at a lower ratio than in the summer. Things just burn good when its hot outside.

area52

If you do some more research on biodiesel, I believe one of the advantages over WVO is a lower temperature in which you can use it without gelling up like WVO. don't quote me on it since its been awhile since I have looked over the info. By removing the "fats" in WVO when you change it to biodiesel, the gel point is lower.

Jimma

That may be right. I was just looking at the overall upfront investment. A filter setup can be reasonable whereas a biodiesel setup can cost a small fortune or atleast more than the cost of a deuce.

MiSasquatch

I've found that with the WVO you have little waste, the filters, and such. With Bio there's much more liquid left overs. I've heard a lot of it is likened to soap. If you got use for lots of soap it may be the way to go...or not. My 2 cents worth.

area52

if you look for the "appleseed" reactor for biodiesel, its not real expensive - old hot water heater, pump, pipe fittings, methanol and lye.

flyBURopTIK

Roughly speaking, the more older/lower-tech of an engine you have, the less there is a necessity to go to something as elaborate as Biodiesel. With that being said, if youve got an old multifuel engine -I have little doubt that youll have any issues burning what ever you want out of it. If youve got a newer cat/cummins/detroit, its new-fangled-ness will have more of a requiem to be running on oily fuel with alot more purity.

As far as the CapEX vs. OpEX $$$ in question here, sure the first results you get when google'ing biodiesel reactor are the kits that are 300'ish gallons that are $12-16k, but if you put in a lil research & source the parts yourself, the same kit could be made for less than $3k. If youre making a smaller reactor, this obviously impacts price... Ive seen the self contained elec waterheater kits for fairly cheap... I think theyll do 40-80gal batch's?

GPappy

The one I was looking at was a complete purchased 40 gal unit including dry wash, 200-300 gals of WVO, and was advertised at $1000. There is another one closer that is 80 gals without the dry wash but it is $1200. Both sell online for over $4000. One lost interest and the other sold his diesel truck. Talk about taking a loss!

flyBURopTIK

GP,

If thats including the waterheater, heating element, and 300gal of feedstock -Thats not too terribly bad... in my neck of the woods, the locals are wanting $510 (including shipping) for plumbing (miscelaneous fittings, some ball valves, a 10ft stick of what looks to be 3/4" iron pipe, and a pump) that connects to a waterheater of yours & documentation on how to make it work.

GPappy

GP,

If thats including the waterheater, heating element, and 300gal of feedstock -Thats not too terribly bad... in my neck of the woods, the locals are wanting $510 (including shipping) for plumbing (miscelaneous fittings, some ball valves, a 10ft stick of what looks to be 3/4" iron pipe, and a pump) that connects to a waterheater of yours & documentation on how to make it work.
The one I was most interested in was a Freedom Fueler with heater and drywash which retails for almost $4500. The guy was taking a big loss but from what I am seeing here it is still not worth messing with. I will stick with Plan A which is to build a centrifuge set up and just run the oil.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's all I do, filter and blend. I run it in an XM818, M109, 2004 dodge 2500, a air cooled pump, and a portable welder. Never had an issue, up to 75 WVO and 25 diesel. Winter I run 30 WVO to 70 diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks