• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WW2 Ben Hur Trailer Questions

cavalrydave153

Lots of questions. I am new to the forum. Been a WW2 collector and historian for decades but am new to vehicles. Restoring a "Ben Hur" trailer but need some (LOTS) help.

What is the official nomenclature for the WW2 "Ben Hur"?
Is there a specific site or forum for these?
Mine has many holes in the floor of the tub. They look too specifically placed and symmetrical to have been done "on the farm" after the war. Is there a way to identify exactly what special use (generator, air compressor, ammo, etc) this particular trailer might have originally been made for?
If I restore to be a general cargo trailer, should there be a drain hole(s) in the tub floor? If so, where?
Data tag is gone. Without data tag is there a way to identify original manufacturer?
Location of original S/N?
My landing wheel is pneumatic tire. I have seen many variations of landing wheel. Does a pneumatic tire landing wheel make any statement about this trailer's original use, manufacturer, or manufacture date?
I see that Vintage Wiring advertises a wiring harness for the Water Buffalo version. Is that the same harness as for a general cargo version?
I found plans for bows on the cckw site. However, is proper/vintage hardware available? Where?
CCKW site also has plans for a spare tire rack. However, I don't think I have ever seen a pic of one of these in combat with a spare tire rack. Comment?
Any other comments or advise?
Thanks, Dave

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome to Steel Soldiers.

A few pictures would help but the trailer is perhaps the G-518 OR THE G-527.

Variants
K52
K63
K63A
V15
M24
M25A
M25B You can do a Forum Search and find further information.

Good Reading

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As per the Serial Number the only trailers with any kind of stamped number was the Marine version. Some say you can find stampings on the axle area but I could not find anything. It is my understanding that if the data plates are gone you are out of luck. I did notice that my trailer had a front tongue appearance that I could only find on Nash Kelvinator versions. Not gospel but it seems to narrow it down.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as bed holes, often these carried the PE-95 generator. Would be a centered rectangular pattern.

cavalrydave153

Thanks all! Great info. Should I even care about the original use vs turning it into a general cargo trailer? How "valuable" is it to maintain the original use of this trailer by keeping the original holes in the tub floor? I would hate to mess up the original use of this trailer if maintaining that has value to or is desirable to the collecting world. Conversely, should I even care what the "original" use was? Does it matter to the collecting world?

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The real issue to me was the lack of a Manufacturers I.D. Plate. Since there is nothing I can do about that I will do a restoration which gives the the best restoration possible based on research and the work done by others who have been very willing to help where possible. Good luck with yours.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is a facebook page.. just for benhur trailers. i have a 1943 gen/arc welding trailer.. its now has a newer type miller welder on it with torch bottles

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks