• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWI Ford US 3 Ton Tank M1918

I am interested in creating a replica of a WWI Ford 3 Ton Tank. I con not find much information on it however. I would like it if I found some specifications or blueprints. Any tips would be much appreciated. I would like to build it as "original" as possible. So I want to use 2 Ford Model T engines like it would have originally had. But nothing else would be original since only 15 were produced and only 2 survive.
I may be crazy for even wanting to try to pursue something of this magnitude and craziness. Maybe Green fever is getting too severe.

L1A1

Was the "3 ton" the one where the gunner/commander sat next to the driver? APG's museum had a restored one of those on display (years ago,pre-9/11). Not sure what happened to it but you might try contacting them to see where it wound up. If it's still on display, you may be able to take pics & get measurements off of it.

Or are you talking about the US built version of the French FT17? I think the Americans called that one the "6-ton special". Good luck with your build.

Matt

L1A1

Yes that's the one that was restored & on display at the ordnance museum. You may want to call them & see where it was sent to when they broke up that part of the collection (maybe it's still up there?). They may have sent it to Ft.Benning(?) with the rest of the armor. That looks like it will be a fun little project.

Matt