• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII 8X8

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For all you BIG truck guys with the HEMTTs and XM757s and the such, I came across a photo in the Patton Museum while on vacation. There were no explanations or captions with the pic, only that this was one of the vehicles used out in the training grounds around Chiraco Summit for Pattons desert training. Check out the pith hats 8)

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those Guys, in the truck, look just a little too comfortable, for as rough as that hill climb has to be. How is that front suspension supposed to work? Does it really drive? Front axle spacing, doesn't seem to fit the chasie. Looks like the front tires are outside the body, some too. Looks too goofy, in fact, to be real.

Lee in Alaska

According to Crismon's

The truck was built by Cook Bros. The cut outs on the sides of the front are because it has "platform" steering which pivoted on a center point to turn the vehicle. That's why they don't line up with the tires in the straight ahead position. The cut outs have to be where the tire will be at the extreme point of the turn. :cookoo: Chain drive on all eight wheels, engine in the rear. No specs on engine size or type, how many were built, pictures from June/July 1942.

(Crismon's Wheeled Vehicles, 8x8 trucks, pp 395-396)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: According to Crismon

Thanks Brian. I'll have to check that book out.

Interesting, it seems this was a desert fighting vehicle.
The images below are from a presumably czech website.
A related article says the following, but I don't understand czech or polish:

----8< snip

Bodziu, to 8x8 to Experimental Desert Vehicle firmy Cook Brothers o dość oryginalnej konstrukcji podwozia. Składało się ono z dwóch wózków 4x4, z których każdy miał swój własny silnik. Skręcanie w tym pojeździe polegało na obrocie całego przedniego wózka. Pojazd nie był opancerzony. Wydaje się, że armia amerykańska się nim nie zainteresowała. Jego podwozie stało się jednak podstawą do opracowania eksperymentalnego niszczyciela czołgów T55 uzbrojonego w 3 calową armatę /zbudowano dwa egzemplarze T55 i T55E1/. W T55 oba silniki umieszczono z tyłu pojazdu. Ostatecznie z rozwijania tej konstrukcji zrezygnowano w listopadzie 1941.

----8< snip

check out that link, it has tons of pictures about experimentals, oddities and fieldmods of ww2 !

http://www.odkrywca-online.com/pokaz_watek.php?id=225326

Mark

Attachments

WillWagner:

Before the internet, I started a little research library. That's where I search first. (I've only got about 200 books, one friend has close to a thousand.)

A lot of the other stuff depends on a good search and/or favorite sites. Since Ryan is into wheeled armor, he knows where the best sites are for that stuff. Same with Mark.

I am surprised, though, at how much information is available on Wikipedia! Turing out to be a great source, as long as you trust the author.

jodka

roger-wilco-66 wrote:
A related article says the following, but I don't understand czech or polish:

----8< snip
Bodziu, to 8x8 to Experimental Desert Vehicle firmy Cook Brothers o dość oryginalnej konstrukcji podwozia. Składało się ono z dwóch wózków 4x4, z których każdy miał swój własny silnik. Skręcanie w tym pojeździe polegało na obrocie całego przedniego wózka. Pojazd nie był opancerzony. Wydaje się, że armia amerykańska się nim nie zainteresowała. Jego podwozie stało się jednak podstawą do opracowania eksperymentalnego niszczyciela czołgów T55 uzbrojonego w 3 calową armatę /zbudowano dwa egzemplarze T55 i T55E1/. W T55 oba silniki umieszczono z tyłu pojazdu. Ostatecznie z rozwijania tej konstrukcji zrezygnowano w listopadzie 1941.
----8< snip
The Google translator identifies it as polish and generates this translation:

Bodziu, a 8x8 Desert Experimental Vehicle Company Cook Brothers of the original fairly
construction of the chassis. Składało it from two 4x4 trucks, each of whom had their own
engine. Skręcanie in that vehicle was traded to the whole of the trolley. The vehicle is not
was armored. It seems that the American army is not interest him. Its chassis
However, it has become the basis for the development of experimental Scale T55 tanks
uzbrojonego in 3 inch armatę / built two copies of T55 and T55E1 /. In the two T55 engines
placed on the back of the vehicle. Ultimately, the development of this abandoned structure in
November 1941
Still not very clear but nonetheless an improvement for those of us who can't read Polish.

-- Allen

Wolf.Dose

The 8x8 seems to be o.k.. However, the time was not ready for these vehicles. As you may well know, there was a 8x8 prototype in the late 30's/early 40' of the EINHEINTS LASTKRAFTWAGEN (standard truck), but failed due to technical problems. The same happend to the 8x8 DUKW. Also TATRA failed by that time. As far as I know, the only successful vehicles of the 8x8 patern were the German Spaehwagen, ex. Sd.Kfz. 263, Sd.Kfz.234/x. But their chassis was almost to complicate for combat use. Only skiled drivers could properly serve them.

Wolf.Dose

Nice picture ot the Brasil ENGESA CCKW 353 GMC conversion. This photo was publisched in THE OBSERVER'S MILITARY VEHICLE DIRECTORY from 45. The rear axle boogy is the beefed up spring with a walking beam system added, also bigger tires, In the US-section of the directory there are several 8x8 pototypes listed with payload 2 1/2 to 6 ton.
The origin of the DRAKE photo I do not know, however, there is an other one in DUKW 2 1/2 ton 6x6 Amphibian of ISO publications, London, 1972.
In the THE OBSERVER'S FIGTHING VEHICLE DIRECTORY WWII you will find some US 8x8 protypes which never saw real service.
The Swiss built a nice 8x8 Saurer tractor to hawl the heavy artillery before WWII already (7.5 ton GVW, 100HP Diesel). As far as I know, the last ones were sold about 10 years ago. But they are no good for the states, the max speed is about 60 kph or 35 mph! Trans is not syncronised, no power steering, only air brakes (single line European type swiss version), right hand drive, no power assised clutch; it's realy hard to drive, I tried it.
Wolf

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks