• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Aero Engines

GoldComet6

If you're looking for also-rans, how about the RR Vulture? Or how about the P&W R-2060 - a liquid cooled radial that was awful.

The Crecy was interesting...an advanced two stroke V12 design, but it suffered from overheating if my memory serves me right.

The Allison V1710 seems to get overshadowed by the V1650 - the 1710 has always been underated too me.

Let's not forget what the Japanese did - they produced some fine engines too. Esp when you factor in what they had to deal with: bombings, material shortages, labor shortages, fuel/oil shortages, and even earhquakes that damaged the plants!! The Nakajima Ha-45 (25) 18 cylinder radial used in the Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate (or Frank) was a fine engine - producing 2000 hp @ take off. Most of their engines are gone though, so few survived the war that running examples basically don't exist - except for 1 or maybe 2 that I know of.

Avn-Tech

Group,

My vote goes to the R-2800, radial for the best combat engine. It could take a beating and still return the aircraft home.

Yes the warter cooled inlines were faster, but loose coolant and the pilot was to bail out. There were radial engines that had cylinders blown off and still returned home. That is why all navy aircraft used radial engines.

The Army Air Force had the advantage of bailing out over land, and not worrying about rescue. Few Navy pilots ever got picked up if they bailed out over the ocean.

When I was in A&P school, I had an instructor who was involved in testing the captured ME-262's after WW II. He said the problem with them was we did not know how many hrs on the engines. So you never knew when the engine was going to blow up in flight.

Laterrrrrrr
Avn-Tech

mutt_kahuna

WWII aero engines

Here's a twofer from the National championship air races...watch and listen twin R2800's (apx 2100hp each) on this F7F Tigercat "Big boss man" versus a mild racing merlin on Bob Hoovers old yeller...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1kkilBoA3I[/media]

Lezza

If you're looking for also-rans, how about the RR Vulture? Or how about the P&W R-2060 - a liquid cooled radial that was awful.

The Crecy was interesting...an advanced two stroke V12 design, but it suffered from overheating if my memory serves me right.

The Allison V1710 seems to get overshadowed by the V1650 - the 1710 has always been underated too me.

Let's not forget what the Japanese did - they produced some fine engines too. Esp when you factor in what they had to deal with: bombings, material shortages, labor shortages, fuel/oil shortages, and even earhquakes that damaged the plants!! The Nakajima Ha-45 (25) 18 cylinder radial used in the Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate (or Frank) was a fine engine - producing 2000 hp @ take off. Most of their engines are gone though, so few survived the war that running examples basically don't exist - except for 1 or maybe 2 that I know of.
Hi GoldComet 6,
Thanks for post.
Re the vulture: Did anyone get an X-Layout to work?
Don't know if the Lycoming XR-7755 fits into this category.
Don't know anything about the P&W R-2060.
Will look into it and report back.
Keep the ideas coming - I want to end up with a master list.
Regards,
Lezza.

Lezza

Here's a twofer from the National championship air races...watch and listen twin R2800's (apx 2100hp each) on this F7F Tigercat "Big boss man" versus a mild racing merlin on Bob Hoovers old yeller...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1kkilBoA3I[/media]
Hi Mutt_kahuna,
Lovely.
Is it my imagination, or is the Mustang getting the better of the Tigercat?
More ideas on engines please.
Regards,
Lezza.

GoldComet6

Lezza....

The P & W R-2060 is from 1931 so it's a bit earlier than you're looking for. Here is a pic of it.

I don't know of any successful X layout, but many were tried.

The Lycoming XB-7755 was a monster!! I'd say it fits - it was never used but so much effort was put into it. :roll:

I certainly enjoy reading about all of these engines....the best resource I have is: World Enclopedia of Aero Engines 5th Edition by Bill Gunston. Lots of info and pictures. :-D

Attachments

Lezza

Found the following info on the Studebaker H-9350, which would have dwarfed the Lycoming XR-7755, on another forum site.
Has anyone ever come across more detail /photo?
If so, please advise.

"Beyond the relatively well-known Lycoming XF-7 engine, R-7775 in military parlance, there is a further (and seemingly final, capacity-wise) entry in the list of US aeronautical military piston engines : the Studebaker H-9350-1. A 24-cylinder, liquid cooled, 4-stroke, horizontally-opposed H engine, equiped with a "two-speed co-axial propeller drive" giving two reduction ratios (3,43:1 and 2,40:1). Compression ratio 8:1, 9350 cubic in of displacement (153,21 litres), two GE CH-5 turbosuperchargers, 8,0*7,75 bore*stroke, length 208", height 40", diameter 100", engine weight 6870 lbs (3116 kg). Military power (@ 2200 rpm) : 5000BHP for takeoff at Sl and at 34000 ft altitude; continuous power (@ 2000 rpm) : 4000BHP at SL and at 36500 ft. Which aircraft was this engine planned for ? B-36?"

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks