• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Antenna "Shape"

Another Ahab

Huh!?

There can be a number of different reasons for curves and loops. Sometimes it's tuning, more often it's for shaping the radiation pattern.

Here's one that will torque your brain - picture a whip antenna with a spiral connected to the base of the radiator on one end and to the ground plane on its other end. A dead short.

What's it for? Well, it's not a dead short at radio frequencies - it's actually a high impedance. At DC, it's a short, of course, but that allows static to bleed off, which is why it's there.
Huh?.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

:mrgreen:

Yep, that's what I said! AC works quite differently from DC. At resonant frequencies, it gets downright weird. That's what makes telecommunications possible.

This can make it very difficult to get rid of unwanted induced voltages - what is a low impedance at one frequency may be a high impedance at another, so you try to ground out the unwanted signal and it just laughs at you.

Another Ahab

:mrgreen:

Yep, that's what I said! AC works quite differently from DC. At resonant frequencies, it gets downright weird. That's what makes telecommunications possible.

This can make it very difficult to get rid of unwanted induced voltages - what is a low impedance at one frequency may be a high impedance at another, so you try to ground out the unwanted signal and it just laughs at you.
Want to know more; confess to knowing little:

- Guessing that DC produces a signal with less noise

I can kind of see that, but is that simplification on my part valid at all in the world of R.A.D.I.O.?

MarcusOReallyus

Well, DC itself doesn't carry a signal. We can impose a signal (information) on it, but that signal itself isn't DC.

Wrapping your head around resonant circuits takes a bit more learning that can be passed on in a forum like this. It's fun stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks