• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Backpack Generator

flobble

I picked up a world war two backpack generator over the weekend, GN-51-A, 300 watt A/C 120-240v powered by a 2 cycle Jacobsen engine, I know that this type is relatively common, so why can't I find any info on it? If anyone knows more about them, please let me know, manuals would be great, also any pics of how exactly they were carried would be nice. Thanks!

Paul

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old gennies like that are neat, and also easy to work on. If you need parts, you'd be surprised how many are either still available under different part numbers, or make your own gaskets, etc.

Nice save!

JDToumanian

Neat! Are they noisy? I don't think I'd feel very confident walking around in a combat situation with a weed whacker on my back.

xj35s

my 12-B with pics.

I have a GE-12-B. I also have pictures. I need a muffler. that is all. I hate to try and make one as two strokes require a certain back pressure to run properly. I too am in search of information on this.

DSC01194.jpgDSC01195.jpgDSC01197.jpgDSC01205.jpgDSC01198.jpgDSC01201.jpg

steelypip

I have a GE-12-B. I also have pictures. I need a muffler. that is all. I hate to try and make one as two strokes require a certain back pressure to run properly. I too am in search of information on this.
Don't sweat the muffler design too much. Back in WWII, they didn't really do tuned chambers on 2 strokes yet, so all you need is a damping chamber and then a restrictor in/as the outlet pipe. By the shape of the space by the exhaust port, the original was probably a thin can or box muffler with the outlet at some mutiple of either 60 or 90 degrees from the inlet. Maybe one chamber, maybe two. The restrictor was almost always the exhaust pipe leaving the muffler. You can size it by putting a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe, loading the engine, then adjusting the restriction for best performance. Once you have a cross-sectional area, you can either leave the butterfly in or replace with a piece of tubing of equivalent area. Don't be surprised if you find that there's a wide range of good outcomes for area and a common American tubing size falls within that range...

simpleserf

I may have a muffler. I parted a unit out to someone who needed an engine a few years ago. I still have the gen end, frame and some other misc parts. I'll do some digging down at my shop this week, and see what I have.

That's the Jacobsen engine, right?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks