• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Power Wagon with Pop Up Camper

sojourner

looks like this one. Of course a different rig. These tents are pricey as as get out.

Definitely not cheap and probably costs a lot more than you think.
He builds the box completely custom with cabinets, frig, stove, storage, bed, etc.

Typically these are for pickups

emr

Just an FYI, Thats a WC , they did not have power wagons for awhile yet back then,The power wagons were a civy model also, Its worth looking up the history of those cool trucks...

Last edited:

sojourner

Just an FYI, Thats a WC , they did not have power wagons for awhile yet back then,The power wagons were a civy model also, Its worth looking up the history of those cool trucks...
Thanks for the correction, thought I might get it wrong. Knew it wasn't an m37 or cckw, quick search and saw power wagon figured they were both military and civi.

CatMan

WWII Dodge Pop UP Camper

Hey- That's my truck! Here is the rest of the story. The truck is a 1942 Dodge WC21. The 1/2 ton 4X4 open cab model. We bought it in 2010 and built it up to drive to Alaska on the MVPA convoy in July and August 2012. It was pretty much a basket case. The original drive train was gone.

I built up a Chevy Small Block 350, mated it to a 1982 GM four speed manual overdrive cast iron transmission and a CUCV transfer case. It has a ton of upgrades. Power brakes, seat belts, electric wipers, larger 9:00X16 M37 tires and rims, 12 volt lights, turn signals, rebuilt axles and brakes. Added lift off doors and made soft side upper canvas frame windows for bad weather. Then my wife found Phoenix campers in Colorado and we had the camper made. Yes it is not cheap. But our Alaska adventure will have us living in it for 8 or 9 weeks this summer.

Oh ya, it has 12V seat heaters for those cool fall mornings in the Yukon.
My goal was to keep it all original WWII looking on the outside for MV shows and have a more road worthy drivable truck (my other trucks are all stock originals). I bought an M101A2 from GL, to get good surge brakes (For the Alaska hills) painted the trailer WWII 319 to match the truck. We'll haul the spare parts, tools, extra gas cans and extra gear, camp kitchen, spare tires etc in the trailer.

Thanks Rob and Cari at Pheonix campers, they did a super job building this special camper. See you on the arctic circle in August.

Cat Man - MVPA AC12 Convoy XO and Core Team Member

68427vette

what did it cost!! cool and on my bucket list is that drive!!! but i'd think i would have preferred a wc54,, but an open cab in alaska,, MAN,, your going to love it,, take 1000's of photos,, and write a blog of keep us updated!! man i'm jealous of that "cruise" :grd: jc

actually i'd would have used a KD64 ambulance,,

best of both worlds,, infact someone is lookiing for one,, i think for that trip!!

Last edited:

sojourner

Great story catman. The truck looks great and like the functionality.
I'm curious what you have set up in the camper, any pictures of the inside?

CatMan

Here is a picture from inside the camper looking aft. The two fold down bunks are on the left. The shower is on the right rear.

We wanted the early 1/2 ton WC21 truck because it is the correct vintage for the building of the highway in 1942. 3/4 ton WC models we not built untill later after the road was completed. Many photo's of 1/2 Ton WC's during construction. I'm planning to have the same sign on the front as the one in the photo below when we roll into Whitehorse Yukon.

Don't ask what it cost. All the reciepts are in a folder that I don't intend to ever add up. But its for a once in a lifetime trip, so we just went ahead and built it.
I'm usually cheap but this one was blessed by my co driver. She pays the bills.

Cat Man

Attachments

quickfarms

A couple of questions

It looks like the bunks fold down and the lower bunk is split. What is under the front portion.

Is there a refrigerator?

What size are your holding tanks?

What is the dimensions of the bathroom insert and do you know who made it?

The reason I am asking these question is I am in the planning stages of my camper build. It will be in an ISO container or shelter that will be carried by the truck in my avitar.

1943ht

Jeff that is quite the rig!!! :drool:Well done .. I'd better not let Julie near that thing, cause I know she will want one:jumpin:.

The trip is going to be quite an adventure! Can't wait.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks