• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Quad .50 trailer pics

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was driving through Romney WV yesterday and this caught my eye passing by the American Legion. A WWII Quad 50 trailer, not bad a shape, but could use a little more paint and rust scraping. Thought I'd snap a few pics and share them with you all.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool! The Museum down the road has the Q50 gun deck from the USS Missouri. A guy at work was on the Mo in the 1st gulf war. He was on the ship when the deck was removed and the missiles were put in it. Took him there and he told me all kinds of stories. He has cool vids of equator crossings.

kcimb

Sort of reminds me of the Ontos. Must have been the same designer too...they must have been thinking "Hey, let's see how many .50's we can cram next to an enlisted guy's head..."

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would sure bid on one if it ever comes up on GL....lol I bet that made quite a few of the enemy look like swiss cheese. My dad's air sea rescue boat shot down a few Jap planes with just dual 50 cals. Thanks for posting the pictures and I hope they get the rust fixed up sounds like a good eagle project

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Wish I would have known you were going that way. A little further down the road in Petersburg, WV there is an old fella that runs a privately owned military vehicle museum. Several jeeps, trucks, and I know he has a LTVP cause he bought it just before I could wrangle up the funds to get it.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice find MD - seeing it reminds me of growing up in South Charleston WV. Near the Ordinance Center they had a small park with several different AA mounts. They were still in good enough condition that the cranks to elevate and traverse the guns were still free and us kids had great fun sitting on them and blasting away at the "enemy". Sadly they probably went to the scrapper when the park was turned into a shopping center.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh man, I had forgotten about those guns, brother! That was a real kick in the pants as a kid. Too bad we weren't old enough to save them :(

halftrack

Give me a week with it and I would have it spinning and traversing. You would not believe how complicated the mechanism is underneath one of those are. You definitely wouldn't believe it to be 1940's technology.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
halftrack said:
Give me a week with it and I would have it spinning and traversing. You would not believe how complicated the mechanism is underneath one of those are. You definitely wouldn't believe it to be 1940's technology.
What was the drive on these mounts Jason? Are they electric or electric/hydraulic or??

halftrack

[/quote]
What was the drive on these mounts Jason? Are they electric or electric/hydraulic or??[/quote]

It is completely electric. It runs off of a electric motor (like a jeep starter motor but smaller. The motor is surrounded by gears, pulleys, and clutches. You cannot believe that it all runs from this one small motor, but it does. Not shown in the pictures on the back of the quad there is suppose to be a small gas driven generator. This does not run the quad. It's sole purpose is to charge the batteries. The quad itself just runs off of the batteries.

Last edited:

1943ht

"Give me a week with it and I would have it spinning and traversing"
Just starting preservation of my Maxon M45F Quad Mount. Got the B&S Model N generator running .... SSGT Frisch would like an opportunity to talk to regards the M45.. Turret is pretty complete but been sitting in the African desert for 50 plus years ... wiring etc wil be a challenge and Im sure I'll need to go thru the running gear. Links to my preservation site. My cell# 763-257-6422

//R//
Mark

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff194/mkoloc/?action=view&current=HT4thofJuly.flv

http://mkolocsM16A2HT.MyPicGallery.com

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, Mark! How'd you get those back in the country? There is almost an official ban on US Armor and military items being brought back into the country from overseas, no matter how old, just curious how you managed to succeed.

Very nice pics of your restoration. What country did you find them in?

1943ht

What armor? That is a 1943 White Half-Truck (As an old Armor Dawg I know the difference between a Truck and a Tank and thankfully Customs agreed) and she was legally cleared by a customs broker :) .. Queen was recovered in Djibouti Africa .. found her abandoned in the desert sands .. lots of ass-pain to get the paperwork put together .. but its official and legal andyes it cost a few bucks to ship her home... she is all original and I intend to keep her that way .. thus Preservation vs Restoration.

//R//
Markus

1943ht

Mike thanks for taking the time to stop and take the pics and to post for all to see .. I would love to get my hands on those 50's :wink: They look great ... notice that the mount is set up to be fed out of regular 50 cal ammo cans vs tombstone's .. would have meant more change outs for the crew as the tombstones held 200 rnds vs the 100 rnds in an ammo can .. VERY COOL :D