• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Tri-Axle Dodge?

Another Ahab

Ran across this photo of what looks to be a Dodge of some kind:

- The photo description only noted the circumstance but not the vehicle (Americans coming through Paris during the Liberation, of August 1944).

I don't recall seeing this three-axle variant. Anybody got background about it?

What's this.jpg

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Similar, but different. What model is this. It is a bit modified but, looks mostly intact.

Dodge_Power_Wagon Small.jpg

FrankUSMC

I have had a couple of them. That is the WC63, Dodge 1 1/2 ton 6X6 with winch.
It was mainly used as a troop carrier or to tow a small field gun. They were not that great of a cargo hauler, even if they were rated at 1 1/2 tons.
Why the 3rd axle? glad you asked. The army rifle squads went from an 8 man rifle squad to a 12 man rifle squad during WWII. They could not all fit into the 3/4 ton dodge 4x4. Another 'cool" item on the WC63 was at the front of the bed was a squad leaders fold down seat.
Sadly, my best body one was stolen by scrap thieves.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Another Ahab

I have had a couple of them. That is the WC63, Dodge 1 1/2 ton 6X6 with winch.
It was mainly used as a troop carrier or to tow a small field gun. They were not that great of a cargo hauler, even if they were rated at 1 1/2 tons.
Why the 3rd axle? glad you asked. The army rifle squads went from an 8 man rifle squad to a 12 man rifle squad during WWII. They could not all fit into the 3/4 ton dodge 4x4. Another 'cool" item on the WC63 was at the front of the bed was a squad leaders fold down seat.
Sadly, my best body one was stolen by scrap thieves.
I'm liking these a lot: it's not big and it's not small, and it's rugged all around; soft top is also a nice touch: great item.

FrankUSMC

Rod
No, I did not. I have lost several items here to scrap thieves as I have two places were I store my vehicles. The worst was a WWII air drone trailer I found that spent it's life in a warehouse. It was stolen with two other trailers, plus two truck bodies, and all the trucks parts I had stored in two small buildings.
Ahab
Next to the WC54 ambulance, the WC63 is one of my favorite WWII vehicles. You hit it on the head, they are not to small and not to big, just pure fun to drive.

Another Ahab

Rod
No, I did not. I have lost several items here to scrap thieves as I have two places were I store my vehicles. The worst was a WWII air drone trailer I found that spent it's life in a warehouse. It was stolen with two other trailers, plus two truck bodies, and all the trucks parts I had stored in two small buildings.
Ahab
Next to the WC54 ambulance, the WC63 is one of my favorite WWII vehicles. You hit it on the head, they are not to small and not to big, just pure fun to drive.
I am very sorry to hear about the robberies. That flat sucks.

Disgust is all that comes to mind about thieves.

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WWII 1943 WC62 1.5 ton utility truck

Ran across this photo of what looks to be a Dodge of some kind:

- The photo description only noted the circumstance but not the vehicle (Americans coming through Paris during the Liberation, of August 1944).

I don't recall seeing this three-axle variant. Anybody got background about it?

View attachment 476469

Here are some more pictures of the Dodge 1943 WWII WC62 1.5 ton utility weapons carrier truck.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks