• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

X-case alignment out of wack?

So I finally got the deuce back together, frame and leaf springs are firmly attached to each other again, steering box is now in (though I needs a bit of adjustment, maybe one flat on the screw). Took it for a test drive yesterday and found something a bit disturbing.

I think my drivetrain, or at least the X-fer case is out of alignment. The shift lever sits a bit low in High gear, in Neutral it's where is should be in Low gear, and low gear is pinned on the floor and rattles like ALL heck. I normally split shift it Low: 2, 3, 4, 5 then High: 4, 5. It went smooththe first run, then on a decel I went to shift back to low 5 and the clattering and banging started. No problem in high range, although it sounds a tad louder in 5H, but it could be because I didn't have the ear plugs in.

Could it be possible that maybe the front of the X-fer is drooping? That seems it would explain they strange placement of my shift lever now.

Thanks,
James

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i know when i drive my deuce... when i accelerate and decelerate, i can see the t-case lever move a little due to the torque applied to the t-case. i take it you pulled your t case from the frame and that it is an air shift? im not a 100% sure on how the t case is mounted in because im not under my truck, but i know its on rubber isolators. did you mount the t case in on the wrong side of the mounts on the frame? the driveshaft between the transmission and t-case should be almost a straight shot. again, im not total expert, but check the TM's for the transfercase install and confirm is the same way yours is mounted in.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cattlett hit his front end and sheared his front spring mount off. Later we found he had misalignment of his T-case, similar to what you describe. His also was making drive-line noise after several hundred miles. We shimmed his T-case with large steel washers(we may have flipped or replaced/removed a rubber mount also).

Get underneath and look it over, you may have had the front drive-shaft collapse and push the T-case back.

The short driveshaft between your transmission and T-case should perfectly alligned.

Thanks guys.

Eric, the situation you describe is exactly what I did, is the drive shaft one that has adjustable length? I know some bigger shafts like the deuce are able to extend and shrink depending on application.

The X-fer has never been removed, but I do know that everything moves on accel and decel, just the nature of the beast. I will have to crawl under it Whe the snow clears around here, we just had 6 inches dumped on us, though it conviently started right after I re-bolted the leaf perch to the frame.

Note: if anyone needs to replace the rivits on their perches, the large ones are 12mm (12x1.75) and the small 2 on the bottom are 10 (10x1.75) I used 8.8 grade because pepboys was out of 10.9 grade

James

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the drive-shafts on a 2.5 ton truck have a splined slip-joint on them.

tm america

The slip yokes on the deuces drive shafts only have 4-5 inches of movement total..2.5 -2 inches from where it normally sits so if it shifted 5 inches back it would have bottomed out the splines on the front shaft and probably shifted the t case in the mounting holes..I might have bent the front drive shaft or could have mushroomed the slines and make the slip yoke bind up...

Last edited:

rlwm211

I re-read your first post. I would suggest that perhaps in the process of
breaking the spring hanger and other parts,
the cab floor has shifted, not the transfercase.
I would adjust the linkage on the transfer case and see how things go.

Since you do not have any driveline vibration, I would not be
as concerned about the transfercase alignment as much as
the shifter not allowing full engagement of the low and
high ranges because of hitting the floor. On my deuce I had
to adjust it so it was just off the floor in Low and had to relieve
the cutout in the floor pan to allow it to fully engage high as well.
Minor details I am sure, but very important
for the health of your transfercase.

In all honesty, the sheet metal is far more likely to bend, twist and
heave after a hard impact, even if there was no frame damage.
This would be due to the sudden stop and the inertia of the
weight of the cab iteself stressing the mounts.

This is all just my two cents, but if you think about it, this may be what happened.

RL

Last edited:
Will work on posting pics this weekend, as is, high is still fully engageable, the lever just really isnt where it should be, it use to butt up against the seat a bit, I'll be dropping the spare and peeking around (that 11.00x20 takes up all my crouch room!) this weekend. Any way for me to tell about the cab RL? other than the fact that my x-case shifter isn't right?

Thanks again guys
James

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It should be attached to the bottom of the handle. Disconnect, un-screw a bit, and reconnect. Should bring the lever off the floor.

rlwm211

You have to take out the 8 or so 1/4 inch bolts holding the rear transmission cover on.
You may have to loosen the front cover to allow it to
come out from under it, if I am not mistaken.

Adjustment is as Gimpy says. lengthen or sherten as needed.
If you have a Bench seat, you have to be careful not to get
the handle too far off the floor in low as it wil
hit the frame of the seat in high.

As to trying to figure out "WHY" this needs to be done, I would simply say this:

You hit something that was powerful enough to break
parts that required enough force to total a regular vehicle.
Of course things have shifted a bit. As long as the driveline
is smooth and has no vibration, the truck tracks well
down the road, I would advise you fix what is broke
and not worry about how it got that way.

Just my two cents

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks