• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

X-door Scratched "Glass" Fix

captcarc

I've read other fixes for the scratched glass x-door inners including replacing. After disassembly, the total thickness of the laminated window was 3/8". I was thinking that the outer layer was 3/16" glass and the inner layer was 3/16" plastic, but this was incorrect. There are two glass layers with a very thick plastic "film" on the inside surface that was heavily scratched. That plastic film can be easily peeled off leaving a beautiful window, glass on both sides, that can be reinstalled. Beautiful! (Window must be disassembled to remove film.)

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That's true, BUT it maybe a little loose fit. I had to wrap the edge with tape , trim it to hide in the channel taking up the differance.

Now I can see clearly too, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am wondering why one can't just take a razor knife and cut around the inside of the window frame? No need to disassemble and the glass will not be loose...
I will have to look but I think that was actually done to one of my windows, there was allot of glue residue on the inside of the glass, there are also some cracks in the glass which is allowing the plastic between the glass plates to delaminate so I am going to need to replace it.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like this thread, and I like the OP posting it, but just to play Devil's Advocate, let me present the following:

Unless the inner window plastic is bubbled, it can be polished by a marine shoppe, the same way they polish clear plastic windows on a recreational boat. You can even do it yourself.

Best.

T

captcarc

I am wondering why one can't just take a razor knife and cut around the inside of the window frame? No need to disassemble and the glass will not be loose...
I will have to look but I think that was actually done to one of my windows, there was allot of glue residue on the inside of the glass, there are also some cracks in the glass which is allowing the plastic between the glass plates to delaminate so I am going to need to replace it.
I think there may be different window substrates. If yours is 3/8" thick, like mine, it may consist of two laminated glass plates with a thick plastic "film" on the inside. Your proposed idea of scoring and removing the inner plastic layer will certainly work and avoids the disassembly. I am disassembling all doors anyway for painting and detailing so it's easier to just remove the whole plastic sheet. I have no concerns with the minor reduction of thickness of the finished glass.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some investigating. The inner plastic is there to prevent glass shards from being expelled from the window into your eyes in case of breakage.

Knowing what I now know, I would get the plastic cleaned and polished at a marina that is experienced with plastic windows that fade with time.

captcarc

I did some investigating. The inner plastic is there to prevent glass shards from being expelled from the window into your eyes in case of breakage.

Knowing what I now know, I would get the plastic cleaned and polished at a marina that is experienced with plastic windows that fade with time.
Good luck with that. It MAY be a coated polycarbonate that would not polish well. My windows are now sparkling clean and clear and I don't fear glass shards.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks