• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

X-doors Plastic Inner Windows

captcarc

I'm sure that most everyone with X-doors has scratches on the inner clear plastic windows. Without really looking into it, pun intended, I believe that the windows have a glass outer and a plastic (polycarbonate?) inner. I would think that I can remove the inner plastic sheet to have clear windows. Has anyone done this? Do I have to drill out any rivets? Thank you!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it should be a laminate, the glass and plastic are glued together. Not just a thin film of plastic but a thicker piece that would make the window glass too thin if you remove it, and it will rattle around/not fit right.

Might call around to automotive glass shops and see if they can make you a piece of the right thickness to replace it.

BLK HMMWV

Not everyone has scratches. I made a set of sheet metal covers that install on the lower section of the doors to protect the windows when they are open.
I saw the drawings for them in a supplemental TM along time ago.
Now I run half doors so I don't have any glass at all.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My doors have a warning about cleaning the windows with the "film" on them, I think someone removed most of it from one window and I removed the rest, I think I used MEK and a razor, turns out the window also has some small cracks so the laminate between the sheets of glass are starting to de-laminate.
I have not had a chance yet but I have had Unimog glass cut to fit at a local glass shop, the flat glass that is laminated is not tempered so it can be cut.
MOST automotive applications have tempered glass in the side windows without lamination, with only the windshield and sometimes the rear being laminated, that is why when they are busted they shatter in a bazillion pieces and just fall in..
I would like to replace all the glass, as I remember the local stuff was pretty cheap, also at the same time I want to re-seal them.
This at the end of a fairly long list, 200A alt, AC, transmission etc.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks