• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XDoors on M1123 that had MAK armor?

Augdog1964

Hey all,

I have an M1123 which had MAK armor...

As you can see, the places where the original Xdoor hinge would have been mounted has been filled... has anyone worked on this to put hinges for the XDoors on a MAK M1123?
It doesn't appear to be a rivet, and it is hard to tell, but the original riv-nut seems to be there, and the center is not aluminum, as I tried to drill one.

Pic of what mine looks like below...

Thanks!
IMG_4923.jpeg

Attachments

DREDnot

That looks to me to be the remains of broken bolts. Try center punching and a small cobalt/TiN style quality drill bit. A cheap HS bit wont work usually.

A couple sizes are needed to slowly get to just under the thread size and the final threads will come out....If you are good/lucky.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're going to do what DREDnot suggests, you need reverse threaded drills. I would apply propane torch heat followed by penetrating oil, wait a few hours, then drill and spray the drillbit while drilling to keep it cool. Hot bits loose their tempering.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are broken 1/4-20 bolts. The B-pillar had captive nut plates riveted on the back side.
chances of getting it out are not good I’ve found, some have enough stick out I can get vice grips on and I’ve removed them. The one that don’t, I hit with a punch to dislodge the nut on the plate and install a riv nut.
on the upper ones you can drill Straight through and use a long bolt.
if you want it OEM, you will have to remove the panel and replace it.

Augdog1964

Well, I took a couple of drills, a mini sledge, and a big punch and went at them yesterday.
I started with a pilot hole as centered as I could manage. Then a large bit about the same size as the rivnut head...

Then smacking them with a punch and sledge until they let go... then fished them out through the MAK armor holes, or let them fall to the floor...

The front seat ones were much easier than passenger doors... they were rough. It looks a little ugly but with new rivnuts and a little paint should be just fine.

Thanks for the guidance!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks