• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM-778 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck, W/W

AndrewH

I have recently acquired an interesting critter and I am looking for any and all insight, information and leads to get it back together. It is a 1967 XM778 Diamond REO truck Division of White motor Co, built 2 1/2 ton truck. I'll post pictures and let them do most of the talking. I am after any information of this truck. I have never seen another one and the great and wise Google search doesn't reveal much. I have found a paragraph in Fred Crismon's book, "US Military Wheeled Vehicles" showing the XM-778 at the Yuma Proving Ground in July 1967. As far as I can tell, I am the second owner after Uncle Sam. This truck most recently serving as a tanker truck with the White Lake Fire Authority and maintained by the DNR Garage out of Gaylord Michigan. The truck did come with the DNR service records going back to 1970. The Fire Service took of the body and modified the truck to suit their needs, as is usual. As we all know, fire trucks take a beating and the records show numerous repairs related to off road damage. The truck has taken it well and actually runs and drives pretty well around the yard. My intentions are to put the truck back together as best I can with the information I can get. It appears to have been equipped with a thermostatically controlled radiator cover in the Wheeled Vehicles book. This may be a stretch, but I am led to believe this was an arctic prototype which is especially neat to me because I have wanted to build an arctic truck for some time.
If anyone has information, pictures, manuals, seen one, poked at one or anything I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

AndrewH

XM778 Pictures From the second post,

I re-added the pictures so you don't have to click on them. I don't know why they did it that way....Phone pictures 798.jpgPhone pictures 801.jpgPhone pictures 473.jpgPhone pictures 445.jpgPhone pictures 444.jpgPhone pictures 811.jpgPhone pictures 814.jpgPhone pictures 805.jpgPhone pictures 448.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What size tires are on the truck?? LOOKS like outboard wet brakes, guessing a stacked set of disks & spacers, you saw this kind of brake setup used for EXSTREAM braking situations.

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what makes it different from a standard M35A2 besides the tires and paint. Just the lockers?

tommys2patrick

Obviously a somewhat rare truck. Cool that you could save it. I see some sort of emblem on the drivers door. Forest Service Fire ? Perhaps it was converted to some sort of fire tanker in its life. Let us know how your search for info progresses. Thanks for posting up the photos.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to recall another thread that spoke of a Deuce with brake assemblies OUTBOARD of the wheel. I'm not sure if it was a dedicated thread or just some posts within a thread. Maybe someone else will remember where that discussion is posted.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Time for David Doyle.

Wish my crystal ball had not been turned in. Sure would like to see what those numbers brought up.

You have me intrigued and that's been a fairly rare occurrence on here lately.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time for David Doyle.

Wish my crystal ball had not been turned in. Sure would like to see what those numbers brought up.

You have me intrigued and that's been a fairly rare occurrence on here lately.
The 2015 Carnac Cross-Country Tour - CARNAC UNPLUGGED.

I remember when I surrendered my access and clearance.... I no longer had my finger on the pulse of world events and international affairs. Sometimes it's better to not know what goes on behind the scenes.

MatthewH

I seem to recall another thread that spoke of a Deuce with brake assemblies OUTBOARD of the wheel. I'm not sure if it was a dedicated thread or just some posts within a thread. Maybe someone else will remember where that discussion is posted.

Doesn't Cranetruck's XM757 have an outboard brake setup? Those new shoes Ferro found for him look very close to the same size as well, I think they were 16-20's

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a trip to Maryland is in your future also try the MVPA archives , there may be something there , I would also wet sand the doors , you may find some very interesting markings in the paint , a couple of my buddies are just restoring a Studebaker gasser M-35 Arctic test truck , it came south from Frobisher Bay and ended up in the Canadian War Museum and sat in the storage building for a VERY long time until they said goodbye to it a few years ago , truck still had all it's original markings, that reminds me also wet sand the hood for your USA numbers , that will be the first thing that will ID your truck in the test files,

armytruck63

X stands for pre-production, usually a test or acceptance vehicle. Sometimes there are a lot of X vehicles made. I have seen both an XM211 and an XM818. They may be made a year or two before the regular M vehicle goes into production. Also sometimes, the vehicle never goes into production and the X vehicles are the only ones ever made.

Monkeyboyarmy

I remember when that truck came up for sale. Just couldn't swing it at the time. Really neat. Love to see it restored. Glad someone on here ended up with it.:[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks