• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM 818 won't turn over and Making Oil!

5_TON_TOMATOE

My 818 has sat for a few years. I decided it was time to fire her up, but engine won't turn over. I believe I have fluid lock. If I understand the TM's, there is a decompression plug for each cylinder? Has anyone here experienced this before? The oil is overfull and smells of diesel. Not sure how this would happen- Thanks

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the injectors and see what's inside then bar it over by hand, that's the best way to approach this without causing more damage. You can also drop the pan and see what's going on on the bottom side.

dmetalmiki

Don't do that until you make sure there is no fluid in the cylinders. You can destroy your engine instantly.
ABSOLUTELY Follow this advice. You have a diesel lock from fuel leaking into the engine oil from your pre heater or the pump seals. (1st class candidate for an engine "runaway". (destruction iether way)).

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can make a tool that you can open the exhaust valves and try and find what cylinder has the fluid then have someone bar the motor while you hold that valve open. Do not use starter. I have done this trick before and it was just one cylinder that I had to clear.
I have the tool so it was easy and it will be a cylinder that has all valves closed not open.
Keep your fingers X that it is fuel not water.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fluid in the cylinders will eventually make it past the rings into the oil pan. Drain the oil to see whats in there. Try baring the engine after you drain the oil. You can bar the engine over at the accessory drive pulley.

162tcat

Well after 4 years it’s not hydro locked anymore. Drain and refill oil then fire her up and see how she runs. If it’s still broke, send it to my place. I can always use parts...
Welcome back from another south end guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5_TON_TOMATOE

Well after 4 years it’s not hydro locked anymore. Drain and refill oil then fire her up and see how she runs. If it’s still broke, send it to my place. I can always use parts...
Welcome back from another south end guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welll, Had my guys pull her into the driveway today, after replacing a wheel cylinder on the Deuce. Check some levels, and put power to it, and it cranked about 1/8th of a turn, so after 4 years, there must be some fluid in one of the cylinders. I will try to locate the culprit, and bar it over with the exhaust valve open I hope !

reset2

You got to get the oil, fuel, water out before using a starter again. Dont know myself how hard the injectors are to pull but you need to pull them unless there are glow plugs somewhere to pull instead. Good luck. If you dont do this expect to be changing connecting rods.

5_TON_TOMATOE

You got to get the oil, fuel, water out before using a starter again. Dont know myself how hard the injectors are to pull but you need to pull them unless there are glow plugs somewhere to pull instead. Good luck. If you dont do this expect to be changing connecting rods.
Yes, I agree- Was really hoping it had leaked down after 4 years. Engine was a fresh rebuild just before our government, in all it's wisdom, decided to surplus it out to me :cool:

5_TON_TOMATOE

O K- Well, now I've got some issues. Pulled the top end off after trying to lever open some valves, and some were stuck. 3 cylinders have rust and corrosion in them. No coolant that I can tell. Contaminated fuel, or just humidity in the air and sitting? Any thoughts, or has anyone had this issue before? Figure I better do liners, pistons, and rings at least, but pistons are stuck real good to liners. How should I go about removing these guys? Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks