• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM211 Recovery

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
hahaha OK you got me PB.

However I know for a fact that the color of the OD paint was mandated to be changed from 23070 to 24087 by the 1st of January 1958.. And the U.S.A. hood marking was also changed at that time to U.S. ARMY. And the star was changed on the hood to point from the rear to the front. I was assigned to a Field Artillery motor pool at FT. Chaffee on 1 January 1958 and we had to at that time change all our trucks. We did.

It was optional to change all that stuff over a period of a few years before the 1st of January but it had to be accomplished by the 1st of January.

So after we got done changing all that stuff we went to the deep sink in the barracks and dyed all our shoes and boots from brown to black also. And packed our OD Ike jackets away and got out the new green uniforms we had been issued

David was right in that right after ww2 everyone was told the change was coming and were given a completion date of 1 January 1958.

The enclosed picture is of a brand new M211 used during operation Big Switch in 1953 in Korea. In the truck are North Korean prisoners being returned to the exchange point. Note the position of the star and the hood markings. you can see even the new bolts holding the front fenders on.

All trucks painted after 1 January 1958 did have the star pointed to the front and the hood marking changes.

I admit it PB I am older than you. Not much but just a tiny little bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Capt. Marion PB and I are the best of friends we just heckle each other all the time. PB is very good at what he does and a good troop. Someone just needs to keep him in line as MB can't watch him all the time.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
hahaha OK you got me PB.

However I know for a fact that the color of the OD paint was mandated to be changed from 23070 to 24087 by the 1st of January 1958.. And the U.S.A. hood marking was also changed at that time to U.S. ARMY. And the star was changed on the hood to point from the rear to the front. I was assigned to a Field Artillery motor pool at FT. Chaffee on 1 January 1958 and we had to at that time change all our trucks. We did.

It was optional to change all that stuff over a period of a few years before the 1st of January but it had to be accomplished by the 1st of January.

So after we got done changing all that stuff we went to the deep sink in the barracks and dyed all our shoes and boots from brown to black also. And packed our OD Ike jackets away and got out the new green uniforms we had been issued

David was right in that right after ww2 everyone was told the change was coming and were given a completion date of 1 January 1958.

The enclosed picture is of a brand new M211 used during operation Big Switch in 1953 in Korea. In the truck are North Korean prisoners being returned to the exchange point. Note the position of the star and the hood markings. you can see even the new bolts holding the front fenders on.

All trucks painted after 1 January 1958 did have the star pointed to the front and the hood marking changes.

I admit it PB I am older than you. Not much but just a tiny little bit.
Hey Brother, let's say you're more experienced!!:grin:
I don't like the word old.

I knew there was a "grace period" to expend the WWII paint etc., but didn't have a clue as to the actual dates.

Doc is facinated with this truck. He rode home in it with me, smiling all the way.
He wants me to paint it 23070...I don't know about that...yet.

Gunfreak25

FWIW, here's some GMC fire trucks in Korea in 1960. Note star positions.

http://www.firetrucks-atwar.com/images/korea_2.JPG

Also notice the white wheel paint. These truly were Army Cadillac's when new.
http://www.firetrucks-atwar.com/images/korea_10.JPG
http://www.firetrucks-atwar.com/images/SAVE002213.JPG

Great score, excellent example of a well maintained truck! Although I disagree with the statement said above. These GMC's have been forgotten about over the past 10 years, but thanks to a wonderful thing called the internet and SS I think they are making a well deserved comeback.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I agree with you Gunfreak25 they are a very good truck. While stationed on Okinawa in the late 50s there were tons of the auto GMC's all over the place. Seemed the AF had more than anyone else. They drive completely different than the REO based trucks in my opinion. A person can stop them on a dime.

Both the GMC and REO trucks are good trucks but the GMC seems a little better made to me. They are a truck that needs to be saved.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You are so going to like that truck. They ride incredibly smoothly.
They do indeed Stan.

I've had the other M211 for about four years. That's why when this one became available I couldn't stand it to leave the area...so I bought it.:D

It drives and rides so well that Marinebrat asked me if it had some kinda "assisted" steering.

So far my only problem is looking for the clutch and shifter when I start slowing down to stop or getting up to road speed.

I think if Uncle Sam had put a few more bucks in the trans and maybe considered a diesel engine, we would have had an indestructable truck.

Gunfreak25

28:1 steering wheel ratio. They steer much easier than the M35's. Helps not to have a 1800lb engine block sitting on the front end.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
28:1 steering wheel ratio. They steer much easier than the M35's. Helps not to have a 1800lb engine block sitting on the front end.
Thats correct Sir...didn't think about that!aua
I can pretty much steer both of these babies with one hand...unless sitting still.

I sorta like the auto trans too around town. Plus the brakes on both of my M211s put the M35 trucks to shame...IMO.

Gunfreak25

A well tuned GMC would also rival any drag racer back in the day. Stopping power is unmatched. Look at how much larger the rear spring pack is compared to an M35. They have a 15:1 low range and a permanent 16% underdrive transfer. Wonderful fit and finish for a Military Vehicle. They'll carry a lot more weight and outpull any rig within a 500 mile radius of you. There's a reason why parts have become so hard to find for these, they were the truck of trucks to have in the 70 and 80's if you were a farmer.

The Canadians were darn smart to adopt them for Military use for as long as they did.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
A well tuned GMC would also rival any drag racer back in the day. Stopping power is unmatched. Look at how much larger the rear spring pack is compared to an M35. They have a 15:1 low range and a permanent 16% underdrive transfer. Wonderful fit and finish for a Military Vehicle. They'll carry a lot more weight and outpull any rig within a 500 mile radius of you. There's a reason why parts have become so hard to find for these, they were the truck of trucks to have in the 70 and 80's if you were a farmer.
The Canadians were darn smart to adopt them for Military use for as long as they did.
Yup...I heard the ole 302 was a much sought after engine for racing.
I KNOW the brakes are unmatched.

I think these trucks were ahead of their time and we just didn't realize it...or politics got in the way...or sumpin.

Anyhoo...we've saved two...so far

Stan Leschert

The automatic tranny was considered too wimpy for the soldiers
who never really learned to drive it.

What other automatic can you pull start?

I've learmed to love them, and I qualified on the MLVW.
I think I might have seen our truck while it was still in service,
But we've both been retired from the service for a while!

nattieleather

The transmission got a bad rap and the GIs didn't like it, plus the REO (M35) design had more common parts with the 5 and 10 ton trucks so between the boys not liking the trucks transmissions and one door for three trucks in the parts system the GMCs were doomed. Shame though....they are a good truck.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Well you guys hit it right on the head. The prime movers for the 105s in our artillery unit were M135s in 1957. We drivers used to sit in the break room and talk trucks of course. Often the subject of the auto GMCs came up. The general feeling was that real men did not drive trucks with automatic transmissions they drove trucks that they could double clutch and they sure did not drive a truck with only one wheel on the end of each axle. Yep! we just wanted to be in the real man truck, the only REO we had in the motor pool, the one M35.

I have always thought that macho feeling had a lot to do with the early death of the series. Ahead of their times is right. Now all the trucks are autos with super singles. GMC had it right in the early 50s it just took the powers that be 40 more years to realize it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The automatic tranny was considered too wimpy for the soldiers
who never really learned to drive it.
What other automatic can you pull start?
I've learmed to love them, and I qualified on the MLVW.
I think I might have seen our truck while it was still in service,
But we've both been retired from the service for a while!
Never got to drive much in the military...always had to walk unless we could hitch a ride in/on sumpin!:)
That means the ole feet and legs took quite a beating (not to mention the back).:shock:
Truthfully, I couldn't drive ANYTHING with a clutch for long nowdays or I would be wimpering like all getout with a swolen left knee!:oops::oops:

The moral of the story is...this ole baby and the other one are just my speed for now..LOL:beer:
Doc has a REO (M35?) gasser with manual trans and I can already hear the gears in his head turning when he looks at my other M211...LOL...he wants it now.

Yup...age has a way of making a feller appreciate stuff...and rationalizing stuff...like hey...an automatic transmission ain't all that bad!!!:beer:

Attachments

Mastertech

Thanks everyone, I have to admit I havnt been on the site for a few days, But when I was reading up on the thread I was compelled to go out in the shop and check just exactly what way my star was pointing? I would have bet good money that is was facing toward the rear but come to see it is facing foward, its a 1954 M211 with a good coat of construction yellow over it but not as good as the military paint that was used to paint the star and I have to say I beleive its the original star. And yes the auto trans and the power brakes
make it an absolute pleasure to drive If it only hade power steering would have made it that much better.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks