• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM757 Cab Lift for access

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent about 5 hours preparing for the lift and 2 hours on the actual lift of the cab.
The fuel plunger in the IP is sticky and I need to take the hydraulic head off at least, so the decision was made to take the cab off needed or not. It certainly makes for super access.

Attachments

Armada

NICE. The right tool for the job! [thumbzup] She's coming along nicely, Bjorn.
Just had a thought (uh-oh), how feasible would a tilt cab be? You know, like the old cab-over semi trucks.

No.2Diesel

I noticed the square tubing of the cabs skelaton bracing are assymetrical on the back wall of the cab. Any specific reason for this. Probably not important but looks odd.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: XM757 Cab Lift for access

No.2Diesel said:
I noticed the square tubing of the cabs skelaton bracing are assymetrical on the back wall of the cab. Any specific reason for this. Probably not important but looks odd.
Every detail of this truck is engineered, if there is some oddity it's for a reason, in this case there may be more support needed for storage of the spare tire (behind the driver)....all this makes this a most exiting MV to "play" with.

Armada, almost everything is accessible with the cab in place and almost every part can be worked on without removing the cab tub, no need for a tilt type/cab over. I lifted it off for several reasons, to work more easily on the IP, clean the hidden parts and also because it's fairly easy for one man and his K-boom. :)
There are actually only 5 bolts holding the cab to the frame, talk about engineering! It's also relatively light weight being all aluminum.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Andy, I'm gaining a lot of confidence by working one system at a time and there are many more to go. Fortunately, I should say, not sure what I would do without this "hobby" at this time....

Oh, and I want to thank Wayne Harris again for the 3-point sling, a parting gift on one of my visits to his place, it has come in very handy a number of times. :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After spending the better part of the week putting everything back together again with some additions, I started the engine this afternoon and let it run for 1-1/2 hours. It sounds great, need to fix a few air leaks and it needs a new oil filler cap.
Even tested the transmission and brakes (still sitting on blocks). The transfer case is air operated, like the brakes.

I do have a problem with starter chatter and I suspect that the solenoid is bad...engine starts right away when it catches. Batteries are fully charged and terminals tight.

Attachments

ida34

Looks sweet Bjorn. Do you have a canvas or are you going to have to have one made up? Have you run into any parts that just can't be found yet?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bjorn, what are you talking about when you refer to the starter's "chatter"? My 5ton wrecker with the lds usually starts fine, but once in a while it just clicks 3-5 times. Then after a second or two rest, She fires right over. Same thing?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
Bjorn, what are you talking about when you refer to the starter's "chatter"? My 5ton wrecker with the lds usually starts fine, but once in a while it just clicks 3-5 times. Then after a second or two rest, She fires right over. Same thing?
Something like that, I'm concerned that it may be the solenoid, a bad spot on the contact disc. Experienced the same thing on the deuce last year and ended up replacing the starter.
Firstly, I want to be dead sure it isn't the batteries or the connections, it's not a permanent setup yet.

Chuck, so far no real problem with parts. This series of vehicles only had vinyl or hard top covers (no canvas). I may opt for the homemade, heavy duty canvas "bikini" style again, since I like the open ride it offers in the deuce (see current avatar)...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks