• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM757 climbing out of its nest

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the engine running smoothly, I simply couldn't wait to take the next step, so on went the tires and a short test run followed.
It just floats over the humps, the power steering working great and the power brakes are superb. It's nice to hear the turbo as I let off the "gas", it still smokes a lot, but a highway run should clear that up.
Only bad part are the tires, good for driving around the yard, but hardly for a road trip....
Still got plenty to do, but I will drive it more and more for sure.

An interesting note, the oil pressure comes up very fast, within 5 seconds after sitting for a day. Must be the higher capacity oil pump , so I'll probably be removing the pre oiler that was installed some time ago.

Attachments

JDToumanian

WOW! Congratulations, Bjorn! :beer:

That first drive must have been very satisfying indeed... this is the first time it's moved under it's own power since you've owned it, right? The paint looks great too!

Jon

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOO HOO! good to see it rolling. Where are you gonna get rubber for it?

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations Bjorn! That's a magnificent piece of equipment. Looks like many new fittings and an external filter in the heater pic. The different turning characteristics of each front axle can be seen in the second picture as well as the articulation of the rears. The color and Vietman era black stars are very cool. NIce piece of work!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your support!
I'll post more pictures from other angles now that I can move it around, the front has been facing NW and the sun was not hitting it right for good pictures.
Fortunately, there are many more things to work on, the electrical, the cab, the winch for example and I'll always be on the lookout for tires in better condition.
The filters you see in the image above are the Racor primary filter/water separator and the engine oil bypass filter.

Jon, yes, it's the first time it has moved under its own power for a decade or so. The paint has been applied a piece at a time using Aervoe 997B (24084) rattle cans, not so good for larger surfaces.

Yeah, the fittings, I have learned to love the "push-on" types over last the year. Thru cab connections are made water proof so that the original design goals are not compromised.

The shovel in one of the images below is the perfect tool for mounting tires, just roll the tire up and lever it to the right height with the shovel.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, congratulations. The truck looks great. Have you ever contacted Tom Bauer about the truck. He used to own an M757 tractor and he might have some misc. parts lying around. I hope you bring it to the VA off-roading trip next spring. I probably will bring my HEMTT, although I plan to bring another truck for off-roading.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armada said:
Bjorn, the front wheels appear different than the rears. Are the rears just not fully assembled or is it a design feature?
The front wheels have "steps" on them...if that's what you mean.

Bruce, I honestly don't have enough money to go "shopping" for parts and it's no fun to find parts and not being able buy them. Tom hasn't chimed in when it comes for spare parts, so I don't think he has anything left.
I have been told that there are NOS tires availble some place in NE Virginia, but like I said, without money it's not fun to pursue a lead like that.
I do want to stick to original tires, although I know several different new ones can be used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks