• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM757 climbing out of its nest

Elwenil

Bjorn, I know you want to stay original with the tires but considering the age and condition of originals, not to mention the rarity, perhaps in the future it might be worthwhile to get procure an extra set of rims and maybe some XLs or highway tread tires so you can get her out on the road? I know you probably want to drive it and take it to Aberdeen and other shows and I don't know how eager I would be to use up the precious mileage left in original tires.

No.2Diesel

I was wondering how the Allison shifted, that is if you were able to travel fast enough for it to have to shift. How does the torque converter feel? How much does it slip?

[thumbzup]

weewillywinky

bjorn, are the two front axles supported by the same kind of spring/ pivot as the rear axles???
and YES, it loks great. i greatly admire your talent and skill.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
weewillywinky said:
bjorn, are the two front axles supported by the same kind of spring/ pivot as the rear axles???
and YES, it loks great. i greatly admire your talent and skill.
The front and rear bogies are generally the same except narrower in the front to allow for steering...and yes, same "walkng beam" as the M35, but with fewer leaves, which may have made the shocks necessary. May allow for higher off road speed, don't know....

Can't answer the Allison shifting behavior yet, never been out of first gear. :?

The truck features a lot of little improvements over the M35/M54 series, it almost looks like the designers were well aware of the problems from door handles, mirrors and electrical system grounding to the multifuel engine, which has several improvements over the lower power version, one being the higher capacity oil pump mentioned above, which appears to address the "dry start" issue.....an engineer's dream toy. :D

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
that was one thing that struck me about both Bjorn's and Ron's 8x8's the fewer, but thicker leaves and their longbow- like shape.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
man that is a super good looking truck. i know you want to drive it off into the sunset but patience will get you the best truck you can have. take your time like you have from the begining

CGarbee

Boy, I have a ways to go to catch up with Bjorn if I am going to put my XM708 in a lineup at Aberdeen anywhere near his ride...

Bjorn, remind me again what size tires are on the XM757 and I'll keep my eye out for suitable replacements when I'm tire shopping. I seem to be spending a lot of time in tire warehouses recently (swapped out 33 last week, both dueces and the five ton and I'm not finished...).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
acetomatoco said:
Think of me when you blow the horn!! Congrats on the first test drive.
Kind of hard to avoid ACE, it's right in my face. :)
I'll have a second button for the air horn.
Of course, many others have contributed one way or another.

Cabell, thanks, but I'm sticking with the originals for the time being. Now if you find any 16-20 low profile radials that's another story.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks